cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 15 V2P

HelloHello
Level 4

Hi All,

Is BE15 capable of Virtual to Physical Conversion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify with basiv outline of process

to convert virtual to physical you have to

1) Run an SSP/SDR enabled traditional agent backup of the content of the Virtual machine (using the Agent for Windows installed inside the VM and not performing a virtual agent backup of the vmdk/vhd) - This backup basically backed up Drives, any database technologies and the System State as if you were backing up a physical machine

2) Create a bootable SDR DVD

3) Boot the physical system off the SDR boot DVD and use it to do the restore on the physical hardware (as long as a SDR enabled backup has been run you dhouek ve abel to either see the sets (if connectin to a remote Backup Server) or provide the DR file (if trying to use some form of local storage to acces te backup sets)

4) Recover any database technology content as separate jobs after the OS and drives have been restored (and the server in question restarted)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no such feature.

However, you can try using SDR to restore the VM to a physical machine.  You would have to make sure that all the needed drivers are on the SDR boot disk.

Hi pkh,

Thanks for the reply.

I created a test environment with a backup server that resides on a Windows Server 2012 R2.The backup server is the hyper-v host at the same time. I have a client computer with a server 2008 R2 OS. I conducted a "one time convert to virtual machine". The conversion was successful. Then using SDR, i created a SDR bootable disk of the VM. When i boot the SDR to the same hardware, the computer i want to recover is not in the list.

Please see attached image.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that the backup set that you want to restore is accessible. Do a test restore from it first.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify with basiv outline of process

to convert virtual to physical you have to

1) Run an SSP/SDR enabled traditional agent backup of the content of the Virtual machine (using the Agent for Windows installed inside the VM and not performing a virtual agent backup of the vmdk/vhd) - This backup basically backed up Drives, any database technologies and the System State as if you were backing up a physical machine

2) Create a bootable SDR DVD

3) Boot the physical system off the SDR boot DVD and use it to do the restore on the physical hardware (as long as a SDR enabled backup has been run you dhouek ve abel to either see the sets (if connectin to a remote Backup Server) or provide the DR file (if trying to use some form of local storage to acces te backup sets)

4) Recover any database technology content as separate jobs after the OS and drives have been restored (and the server in question restarted)