cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2 Disk

Mike_Jones
Level 4
We currently are using backup to disk. We do a synthetic weekly backup. We have 3 servers with about 55 different jobs with almost 6Tb total. We only have enough space to keep 2 weeks (currently) before we have to delete the B2D files off to make room for the next week's syn weekly. We currently just copy the B2D files to tape for off site storage every day. I have a problem however. If a restore is requested over 2 weeks old, I have to restore the B2D files back to the server from tape. Then restore the requested file from those B2D files. Now here is where the problem is. I cannot see which B2D files to restore. Usually, you can do your selection, then click on View by Media, but it will not let me, saying that "The restore selections include true image restore selections which cannot be displayed in View by Media". Any suggestions to restore only the files I need instead of all of them for that particular day.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rather than doing a standard COPY backup to tape, do a DUPLICATE. 

You can then restore directly from tape

Mike_Jones
Level 4
Wouldn't you have to do a duplicate per job? Thus adding to the number of tapes used and the amount of time needed to copy them offsite?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yes, you would need one duplicate per job, but you can stack duplicates just like regular jobs, and can use policies to run the duplicate as soon as the B2D has completed

Mike_Jones
Level 4
Keep in mind we have about 20 jobs per server (3 servers). Wont this cause some tape jobs to run on top of each other? Will unchecking the True Image option do what I want it to do? (I dont fully understand what the True Image is ). Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As for what a True Image backup is, see here for a quick overview

As for multiple duplicate to tape jobs, if the first of the night is specified as Overwrite, and the rest are all Append, they should stack up waiting for your drive to free up