cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2 different Drives and restore to 1 single RAID5 logical drive

Harold_Wong
Level 0
Dear all,
At the moment my server has 2 hard drive. C: for system and D: for files. I would like to implement a Hardware RAID. My vendor says that to install RAID i will need to purchase a new HD & a RAID controller then I would have to format all 3 drives into one logical RAID5 HD. I will then have to restore all files using my Intelligent Disaster Recovery (Veritas Backup Exec 10.0). The problem is, I'm not sure that veritas is able to restore to a RAID5 enabled drive since it only backup from 2 physically different hardisk drive. Should it be able to successfully restore all files and settings, what about the folder rights, is it lost and I have to reconfigure all the folder rights from scratch?

Please advice
2 REPLIES 2

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
BE does not care if your drive is a Raid5 or whatever, this this is no issue.
And of course you can restore the data from your old drive D: to your new drive C: and BE will take care of the folder rights.
Only the shares will be a problem, if they are not too many, it might be easier to make them new manually.
Otherwise you will need a third party tool.

greetings
Peter

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please refer to the following link for recovery of Raid systems:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190616
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.