cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2010 - Duplicate to tape failed with catalog error

Rob_Coenders
Level 3
Partner Accredited

When i start a Duplicate tot tape following a job this duplicate is often failed with a Catalog Error. The problem seems to be random from serveral jobs.

I searced the knowledge base for a solution but cannot find any. Is there somebody who sees teh same problems?

I'm Running Backup exec 2010 with deduplicaton ( mixed clien and server deduplication). The storage is on a HP Lefthand en de diskstorage for the B2D is local, the tape Unit is also local for the mediaserver.
 Installed hotifx is only 340433, The system is a Windows server 2008STD 64Bit

Regards

Rob Coenders

3 REPLIES 3

24x7spyz
Level 3
I had been working with Symantec on the same problem.  I have just decided to turn off source side deduplication and the duplicate to tape jobs run fine. For me, whenever I had  "allow this job to have direct access to this device", I had random failures with catalog errors.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.  I think there is a bug somewhere.  For me, it wasn't a huge deal as the source side deduplication wasn't saving me any time on my backup windows.  The deduplication now occurs just on the media server.  Hope this kind of helps.

Deryck

Rob_Coenders
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks for your input.

The random errors is something I recognize. The problems are however also with the serverside deduplication. Some jobs that are running are client side deduplication and others are server side deduplication.

We´re gonna log a call with symantec support, hopefully they have a solution.

Reagard,

Rob Coenders

24x7spyz
Level 3
Did you get anywhere with this?  Looks like we are having this exact issue.  I have even removed the deduplication from the equation and still getting some machines that will not duplicate to tape, even though the backup to disk jobs run fine.

Deryck