cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Act 2011

NYTECJ
Level 2

Is there a way Backup Exec can backup a live Act 2011 database?  If so, what are the steps to take to complete the task.  If not, are their other options?  I know it's an SQL instance.  Would I need the SQL Agent?  Thanks in advance....

7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There are two ways to create a backup of an SQL database:

- Make use of the Backup Exec SQL agent

- Let SQL server create a backup of the database to disk, and backup that file with the (remote) agent

More info about the BE remote SQL agent:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-be2010_agent_SQL_solution_brief.en-us.pdf

If you already have Backup Exec running, you can install the SQL agent for a 60 day trial.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If its a SQl instance then you need backup exec agent for SQL .If you dont want to use that , you need to take backup withing Sql and backup the dump files or perform a flat file backup.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I haven't come across a successful backup of the Sage dB using the SQL agent. You might consider evaluating the SQL agent to see if you are successfully able to backup & restore the dB, else can consider performing a flat-file backup.

NYTECJ
Level 2

What I think we'll have to do is run a scheduled auto backup within the Act! software and backup the .zip file it creates.  Only downside is we'll have to monitor the folder as it won't autopurge old versions of the .zip.  But we'll try the SQL Agent first to test it.  Thanks guys for your assistance.

Lesta_G
Level 6

us a pre backup command (batch file ) to stop all the sql services and any act services (i dont know act at all)

backup and then runa post backup command to start the services (in the reverse order to the stop)

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure if the topic starter wants that, as the ACT program will not be available during backup.

Also a database file (MDF) will be skipped by default with Backup Exec with the Active File Exclusion feature !

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Kinda late reply, but I am sure this would be helpful for the post starter - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61751