cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 Issue

Malcolm_MacDona
Not applicable
I have a server running Windows 2003 and Backup Exec 10d (Version 10.1 Rev 5629) with a Seagate DDS4 9SP40 4mm drive that is generating the following alert:

Critical - The tape drive needs cleaning:
1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean the drive.
Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
Robotic Library:
Drive: SEAGATE 1
Slot:
General
Category: Tape Alert Error
Type: Error
Server: SHX-FS
Device: SEAGATE 1
Job name: Nightly
Time alert received: 7/18/2006 11:49:15 PM
Source: Device

Properties of Category: Tape Alert Error
Enabled: Yes
Send notifications: No
Record in event log: Yes
Event ID: 65314
Automatically clear: No
Include job log: No

The tape drive has been cleaned numerous times, services stopped & started with no change. I would like to know if deleting the job is the next step or is the drive needing replacing?
5 REPLIES 5

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Check for event ids 7, 9, 11 , 15 in event viewer for this drive ?

Can you try backup with NTBACKUP using the same drive ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Terry_Austin
Level 3
I am having the exact same problem. Brand new Dell PowerEdge SC440 with a PowerVault 100T DAT72 tape drive. It is running Windows Server 2003 R2 and Backup Exec 10d (Version 10.1 Rev 5629).

The tape drive has the most current firmware. Dell diagnostics on the tape drive determined it to be running perfectly. It wrote 20MB of test data to the tape and read it flawlessly. We are using brand new DAT72 tapes.

The backup job runs fine but reports this error every time. I noticed that the Windows Removable Storage service was set to manual. The service was set to disabled. The regular backup job ran later that evening producing the same error.

Terry_Austin
Level 3
Solved! An updated driver seems to have resolved the errors.

Even though I updated to SP3 and used the built-in Update tool to search for available updates, the driver was never updated. I saw this mentioned on another thread - the drivers are not included in the updates. You have to download them manually.

I was running the Veritas driver 04mmdat.sys version 5.1.1.1 dated 4-2-2004

The current driver version is 5.1.23.0 dated 6-23-2006

A test backup and restore were performed without any errors.

Terry_Austin
Level 3
I spoke too soon.

The regular job ran overnight and the error reappeared. I checked to make sure we were using the correct cleaning tape. We are using brand new Maxell tapes for the backups.

Any thoughts?

Terry_Austin
Level 3
This turned out to be a tape issue.  We bought Maxell brand tapes that would not work.  We replaced them with Sony tapes and the problem went away.