Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 is not backing up CIFS share

Eelco
Level 2
Partner
Hello,

I'm struggling with a problem of Backup Exec. I'm trying to backup my CIFS shares on a Network Appliance device. Because it is not possible to install an agent on this device I would like to backup it through the share itself.

I checked the option enable selection of user shares (tools-->options-->network and firewall-->enable selection of user shares). When I then setup a backup job I get a list of the existing shares of that device. 

Backup Exec is running as Administrator. But when I start a backup I'm getting the following error:
1 REPLY 1

Steve_Liu
Level 3
BE 10 will not be able to backup shares on NAS, unless your NAS has a Windows O/S frontend or is able to simulate an O/S.  In this case NetApp does not have a Windows frontend.  You have to use NDMP option, but this option is not available in BE10, only in BE11.
We also have several NetApp NAS that we were trying to backup and that's what I've found.  We have BE 10.1 and BE 11 was not available at that time so we had to use NetBackup 6 with NDMP option.  That NDMP option cost $8,000 alone.