cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 server service stuck in 'starting' status

Chris_Finch
Level 2
I have a Windows 2000 server which had been backing up OK using Backupexec V10.0.05520, from a CASO server.
The weekend before last the server was rebooted and since then we havent been able to get the Backup Exec 'Server Service' past the 'starting' stage.
On the weekend of the reboot, Microsoft security update KB913580 was applied - not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not as we have lots of similar servers which were not affected.
There are no errors in the event log to indicate why it doesnt fully start.
I have tried setting an email client.
I rebooted the server - no difference.
Repaired the installation - no difference
Removed and then reinstall Backup exec - no difference.
Does anyone have any idea why the service would not be starting, or how I can trace if it is waiting for anything - like an email client?
10 REPLIES 10

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
You could try reinstalling the email client.

And what is the exact error message in the System Event log, when u try starting the services and it does not ?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Finch
Level 2
I get an event ID 7002 'The backup exec server service hung on starting'.

The only email client on this server is the default 'outlook express', which we dont use and have never configured. The registry (HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Clients\Mail) currently has :
'Outlook Express' as default email client,
The 'prefirst' run message has been deleted
'NoMailClient' empty.

I tried setting it as the default by using regedit (using veritas documentation), and also via Internet explorer. I have done this with success before it has been when the backup exec job engine was in a similar status of waiting.

Claud_Cutler
Level 3
my BE 10.0 server service (on Win2003) got stuck last week also... I called support and they had me change the service logon from a domain acount to use local system account, then reboot the server... then we went to control panel/add remove programs and click BE then Change and ran a repair. Reboot again. Once I did this the services started successfully, then we ran TOOLS menu, Backup Exec Services, then change credentials and changed back to domain account. you need to start and restart BE services...

Claud

Chris_Finch
Level 2
Thanks Claud, I'll try that.
As its a production server I can only work on it out of business hours.

Claud_Cutler
Level 3
Forgot to mention... had to put the services in Manual mode so they would not start... do this and reboot before you run repair.

Claud

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Chris,

Could you please Update us on the issue....

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Finch
Level 2
I havent had been able to work on this server yet as we had some hardware issues we needed to get fixed on another server.
I should be able to do it over the weekend.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

We await an update from your side....

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joao_Paulo_Teix
Not applicable
Employee Accredited Certified
Any updates on this, I am having the same issue. I have Storage Exec and Replication Exec on the same server, and it seems to stop working after I installed the Replication Exec agent.

Very urgent!

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Chris,

Can you please update on the issue ?

Joao, have you tried the steps mentioned in this post ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.