cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 very slow to catalog old 8.6 generated tapes

Andrew_Vranjes
Level 3
Hello,

Ive jsut upgraded to Be10. i have found BE10 very slow in cataloging my BE8.6 tapes that i made in BE8.6 about a month ago.

Is this normal? 8.6 would catalog a tape in 5-10mins. Now BE 10 takes 30mins to catalog these same tapes.

Could i possibly have a mis-configuration?? its the same tape drive, only change is BE8.6 - BE10

thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Andrew_Vranjes
Level 3
ok, i have unticked 'use storage based media catalogs'

and i have rerun the catalog. It looks like the catalog is even longer to long!

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Use storage media-based catalogs:
Media-based catalogs allow quick cataloging of media that are not included in the disk-based catalog (for example, media that was written by another installation of Backup Exec). This feature enables media to be cataloged in minutes, rather than the hours required with traditional file-by-file cataloging methods.
If you want to create a new catalog by having Backup Exec read each file block, clear this option.

However try the following suggestions and verify the results.
- Defragment the drive.
- Reset the drive configuration settings back to default if you have changed them.

Do revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.