cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d (10.1) and HP 1/8 Autoloader G2

AxelB
Level 3
I have Backup Exec 10d SP3 installed,

the Windows 2003 Server is connected by SCSI to HP 1/8 Autoloader G2.

Trying to backup when running a job it gets to about 2mins and fails with the following job log.

Job Completion status
Job ended: 05 September 2007 at 11:01:42Completed status: FailedFinal error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.Final error category: Backup Device ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34029
Errors:
Backup- E: New Volume
Storage device "HP 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.
I have tested the functionality of the Autoloader and the tape drive is functioning correctly with test backups from HP L&TT.

The drivers installed are:
Tape Drive: HP LTO Ultrium-3 Drive
driver: Symantec Corporation
date: 05/01/2005
version: 5.1.23.0
Digitally signed: Not digitally signed

Medium Changer -> HP MSL G2 1x8 Autoloader (x32 based 2003)
driver: HP
date: 05/09/2006
version: 1.6.0.0
Digitally signed: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I am able to inventory, quick erase, long erase, and even able to restore from the small amount of data that is backed up before it fails.

I have tried turning off the tape loader and server, and disconnecting the scsi cable, then booting back in order (also changed the cable and tried in different scsi ports).

please help,
Alex

16 REPLIES 16

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the loader on it's own controller? 

AxelB
Level 3
Yes, it has a PCI SCSI controller for the autoloader.

LSI Adapter Ultra320

driver: LSI Logic
driver date: 01/11/2004
version: 1.20.5.0
signed: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

AxelB
Level 3
Yes I have checked the knowledgebase - the tape drivers from symantec were downloaded and installed, that is the current setup.
I have changed the medium changer back to the standard windows driver as suggested. The same error occurs.

I have also checked the Microsoft support which is linked in the second related topic to no success.

I have also just installed SP4 for backup exec 10d, but this has made no difference.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you shut down all Backup Exec services, can NTbackup see and access the library properly?  Can you get a complete backup with it?

If so, you are probably down to digging out the credit card and opening an incident with Symantec  Smiley Sad

AxelB
Level 3
I have tried stopping the Backup exec services and NTbackup cannot access the library.

I am going to try changing the medium changer driver and trying with NTbackup again.

AxelB
Level 3
Changing the medium driver did not work - ntbackup cannot backup to the drive with either driver.

I have found something that may be relevant:

I have upgraded the SCSI controller drivers from the HP website:

provider: LSI Logic
date: 09/02/2007
Version 1.24.4.0
signed: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

the same problem seems to occur, it seems to backup for about 4mins now before failing with the same error.

AxelB
Level 3
We have just replaced the SCSI adapter, and the problem still occurs.

I removed and reinstalled BE 10d and reinstalled the drivers again.

same problem still occurs - tomorrow we will replace the brand new autoloader in case this is the problem.

Daniel_Fraley
Level 3
Partner
I've been fighting a similar issue for weeks now:  Server 2003 R2 SP2 on a Proliant DL380 G5 connected to an HP Storage Works Autoloader 1/8 G2 on an HP-branded LSI Ultra320 SCSI controller.  I'm using Backup Exec 11.0, and can't get a complete backup before receiving the BE 11 version of the same error.  Have replaced the tape drive, the autoloader chassis, the SCSI controller, the SCSI terminator, the SCSI cable, and finally replaced the entire unit and all related parts with a brand new retail unit, to no avail.  I can get it to fail in LTT if I run a large (40 gigs or so) read/write test, so at least in my case, the issue apparently isn't with BE.

Anyway, my fiance happened across this thread trying to help me find something useful.  I figured I'd hit you back and let you know its looking like removing MS update kb932755 (storport update -- the SCSI driver uses storport) may have finally corrected it for me.  Hope this helps!

AxelB
Level 3
thanks for the info - I checked and I currently do not have that patch kb932755 installed.

I have rolled back my SCSI adapter driver to MS driver.

The ultrium drive has been replaced also - therefore we can determine that this is not the hardware.

AxelB
Level 3

I have just installed the latest SCSI drivers from LSI logic:

LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030 -scsiport
driver: 04/08/2006
Date: 01/10/2002
Version: 1.21.25.0
Digitally signed: Not digitally signed

This has unfortunately not resolved the issue. I am still experiencing the same problem. Any ideas anyone?

Cocis
Not applicable
You can control the version of the StorePort Driver... I'd the same problem, and after I remove the update  932755 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/en-us) all work fine !

ZPrime
Level 3
We had the EXACT same issue as Daniel.  Environment:

BE 11d
W2k3 R2 SP2
HP Proliant DL320 G5
LSI Logic PCIE U320 controller
HP MSL2024 Loader with single HP Ultrium 960 (LTO 3) drive

I noticed the same error as the original poster - backups failing after a variable amount of time (but usually within 15-20 minutes of start-time) with "unknown hardware failure" type errors, specifically "Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.  Final error category: Backup Device Errors"

Complicating things, just before this started, I had the motherboard on the server die for unknown reasons.  (I think it was the rubber band I found under the board causing a short - the DL320s are cheap piles of junk.)  I installed MS KB932755 (Storport update) either just before the death or right after I replaced the motherboard.  I thought nothing of this and forgot about the update.

Then, I couldn't get backups as mentioned above.  I replaced the tape drive under warranty.  Replaced the cable.  Even got a new terminator.  Same problem continued.  I'm pulling my hair out and playing without a net now (only shadow copies and to-disk SQL dumps).

Even more baffling to me was that I could run about 100GB of data from the main file server, but when I ran our normal nightly backup (of about 6 machines) it would fail at a variable location, anywhere from 7GB to 20 GB in and usually in 20 minutes or less.  HP Library & Tape Tools had no problems either, at least not with a standard "hardware test" that overwrites a tape.  I didn't try specifiying a full-tape test though.

On a last ditch hunch before wasting time wading through clueless tier-1 support techs, I pulled off the storport update / KB 932755 and boom, my backup is now 52GB in and still running, without any issues yet.  I have a feeling I'll have all 230GB on tape by tomorrow.

This is definitely a bug in the update or something that BExec is doing.  I'm going to post this info in the BE11d forum as well to warn people about it, hopefully someone at Symantec takes a look and can get in touch with Microsoft and get this resolved.  Considering that HP suggests installing this update along with their latest storage drivers, the issue will probably keep growing if people are patching systems as they should...

Philou
Not applicable
Hi
After the KB932755 installation, you must replace the LSI/HP driver (lsi_pci.sys) by the natif LSI/Microsoft driver (symmpi.sys) under Windows 2003.
All official LSI drivers or cpxxxx HP drivers seem to be bugs. There is no problem on the new HP SCSI dual channel board because it's an ATTO card with others drivers. This problem appeared only on the speedy tape (LTO3,LTO4)

StuMcLaren
Level 2
I have exactly the same problem as above and have been searching forums on both HP & Symantec portals for the last month to absolutely no success at all. My setup is as follows:

Veritas BackupExec 10d
HP DL 360 G3 Server with Windows 2003 R2
LSI Logic Ultra320 SCSI Card
HP Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader (Firmware G54W/1.50)

The problem is as follows:

Backup job reaches just over 102GB to LTO3 tapes (3 loaded) and then fails with a hardware error, which leaves the autoloader in a state with DRIVE READY. Smaller backup jobs work fine. System Event logs register 129 and 11 event ids for the LSI SCSI card and Application Log contain a series of event ids 33152 (Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!) and 57665.

I have tried all of the following to try and resolve this issue:

Updated HP Ultrium driver with Symantec/Veritas ones
Updated the LSI SCSI card with the scsi driver as opposed to the storport driver
Ran tests in L&TT with success
Rebuilt to a new server with reloaded OS
Upgraded to Backup Exec 11d and then an eval version of 12.5 to the same problem
Installed Microsoft Patches for storport compatability
Swapped out SCI cable, HP Autoloader, SCSI terminator and LSI SCSI card
Played with device settings in Backup Exec (Block Size/Buffer Size/Write single Block etc)
Reverted back to HP drivers for the drive
Removed HP Insights Manager
...the list goes on and on...

I've lost hair over this issue which a large amount of people also appear to be having with absolutely no results of success. At present I'm having to backup to a 2TB USB2 drive which takes ages.

Any assistance is appreciated.

hsaryan
Level 3

I too have HP G2 1/8 AutoLoader with LTO2 448 drive.
using Backup Exec 11d with Sp4
Windows 2003 / sp2

one day all of the sudden all tape medias were bad and I got a Drive Replacement from HP.
So, ever since all backup jobs were interrupted at 5% ~10% with Bad I/O / Bad Media error in Event Logs and in BackupExec Logs.
So to make a long story short, These steps helped me to solve the issue:

1. - Make sure you have the Vendor's SCSI Drives in Device Manager and NOT MICROSOFT VERSION! (ie. LSI/Inte/Adaptec)
2. - Do yourself a favor and get a new U320 Scsi cable (Don't be cheap!)
3. - Make sure to Restore the Auto-Loader to Factory Default Settings (Using the front panel).
4.- Make sure Tape-Drive SCSI ID is 4 or 5. Nothing lower!
5.- Make sure in Device Manager you see Both the Autoloader and Tape Drive.
- For Autoloader or Medium Changer make sure the proper Drivers are loaded! (Note Generic)
- For the Tape Drive make sure you are using the right driver according to your Backup software. If it's BAckup exec, then run (c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\tapeinst.exe) to install the right Tape-Drivers
6. Make sure you see "Green" light on the Scsi Terminator behind the Tape Backup unit!
- under no circumstances unplug the Scsi Cable while the Tape Drive is ON!

7. ------------ registry modification Due To Scsi and AutoLoader Delay problem--------------
See this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755
7.1. Click on Run, type regedit.
7.2. Open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\[device identifier name for the tape LTO-3 tape device]\[numeric device instance id for the LTO-3 tape device]\Device Parameters\
7.3. Right Click Device Parameters, click New> Key and rename it as Storport.
7.4. Right Click Storport key> New> DWORD and rename it as BusyRetryCount and the value should be set to 250 decimal.
7.5. Exit regedit.
7.6. Reboot the server.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Scsi connections are very temperamental! So Follow these Steps.
- Turn everything OFF (Server/Backup/Autoloader etc..) and turn them on in these order.
1. Turn on Autoloader / Tape and wait till it's fully ready.
2. Turn on Server. (During Bios screen, ScSi card may not recognize any attached devices for the Tape Drive. ) That's OK!
3. Make sure Tape Drive is shows in Windows Device Manager.

9. And last but not least.
Do try a different tape / media if you have not already done. So.

P.s.
  No you shoudn't be using cleaning tape frequently!! You should ONLY use Cleaning tape when the Tape-Drive asks for it!