cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d and Livestate Recovery

Kerr_Lim
Level 2
I saw the advertisemnet of Backup Exec 10d that it is now integrated with Symantec LiveState Recovery. I can't seem to make sense of it and not quite sure what they actually mean by "Integration".

We've got backup exec and livestate recovery installed in our server (one machine - same machine). I can't see any way of integrating them together, there is no option of doing it at all! I have once asked a guy from Symantec Support call, unfortunately he was not even aware of this integration that has been advertised in the news and magazine.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? because I'd really like to have those giant products integrated to make the backup life even more exciting! Also if anyone can confirm the meaning of this integration! I heard some say that it means you can set the Livestate recovery job through Backup Exec software and backup it up to the tape, BUT I can't seem to be able to do it! Please help!... Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

BE system recovery is a different product, it is not integrated with Backup exec.It is complementary to BE.

Here is some more info:

1. Does Backup Exec System Recovery replace Backup Exec for Windows Servers?
No. Backup Exec for Windows Servers and Backup Exec System Recovery are unique and complementary solutions, each optimized for protection of corporate assets. Backup Exec System Recovery is optimized for System Protection whereas Backup Exec for Windows Servers optimized for Data Protection. Both these solutions are required to enable complete Data and System Protection as well as Recovery.

2. Is Backup Exec System Recovery an Option to Backup Exec for Windows Servers?
No. Backup Exec System Recovery is a standalone solution that delivers the gold standard in Windows system protection. It is optimized to work in any Windows environment.

Kerr_Lim
Level 2
Hi Priya,

Thanks for the response. So this will say that the advertisement is misleading then???

However, check this out - result from googling - as follows:

http://www.itjungle.com/two/two100505-story02.html

It says: "...With LiveState Recovery Manager 6.0, Windows systems can be recovered to virtually any type of hardware, even if the configuration on the new hardware is different from the original system that failed, a new feature Symantec calls the Restore Anyware option.

The new release also integrates with Backup Exec enabling administrators to create Backup Exec jobs in LiveState Recovery Manager that protect system recovery points and move them to tape for storage off site in a safe and secure location.

The combination of the Restore Anywhere capability and the integration with Backup Exec was put on display by Symantec officials at an industry event in New York last week..."

Another one:

http://www.larkware.com/Reviews/backupexec.html

"..Other advances in LiveState Recovery include integrated pcAnywhere technology to allow remote recovery to the point of being able to just unpack a server, plug it into the remote LAN, and restore it all from central IT (assuming the hardware supports appropriate remote boot and provisioning standards, anyhow), integration with Backup Exec, and network bandwidth throttling so it will play nice with other applications...."

If there is a way of attaching images through, i would like to scan the magazine that I read about this integration and attach it here so that you can have a look and see what i mean.

Can any one sheld some light on this please?

Thanks in advance

Kerr_Lim
Level 2
Hi Priya,

Can you please respond to this threat as it has been months now?

Cheers,

Kerr