cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d fails with final error 0xe00084b8...all my Lotus Domino databases are reported as being skipped because they are "in use"...usual fixes are not helping!!!

patm
Level 2
Hello!

I have 2 different backup setups
M-W backs up selections including Domino databases on Server Concord
T-Th backs up selections including Domino databases on Server Lexington
Backup Exec 10.0d (now with SP 4) runs on server Concord.
M-W is still working fine.
The first time I saw a problem was when I looked at LEI and DECS services running on yet a 3rd server, Boston.  I did not change anything...I only looked at it.  It may be unrelated, but right after that my T-Th backups began to fail.
The first link I found suggested that this problem has been fixed in SP4 for 10d.  I downloaded and applied the service pack.  I can verify that it has been applied.  This did not fix the problem.
The next time it failed the link suggested that the secure console password in Notes might be set.  I cleared the secure console password according to the directions. 
The next day the M-W backup also failed with the error 0xe000848c Unable to attach to a resource.  I followed the link on that and it directed me to a page that suggested I check the
resource credentials in properties of the Job Setup for that night's backup.
When I did that, I got a message stating, "No data stores can be initialized.
The software is probably installed incorrectly." Just for the Domino
Databasesthe other files were successful.
So, I dug a little deeper (searching on the message and following more of the
documents links) and discovered that somehow the registry entry for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LOTUS\DOMINO
DATAPATH = <location for the correct version of NOTES.INI> was pointing to the
wrong location. They showed how to fix it here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309222.htm. I have no idea how it
could have gotten changed!!! But, it did fix that problem with the No data
stores and now all the resource credentials are returning successful.
The T-Th backup still didn't run, but the M-W was fixed. 
I continue to get the same error on T-Th  and have also followed the directions to clear the Enable Change Journal and Enable Notes Database Filtering bits...they were already cleared when this problem suddenly arose 2 years ago....back when I still had support.
I am running out of options...no ones email is getting backed up.  It's not an emergency, but I am very concerned...this has been going on for about 3 weeks now.
Thank you!
Pat
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

patm
Level 2
I finally checked the remote server to see if the database filtering and change journal registry keys were also cleared to 0.  They were not!!  I set them to 0 and last night's backup ran smooth as silk!  Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
maybe I'm missing something in your post

"in use, skipped"  for NSF files is normally associated with trying to backup flat files while the DOMINO server is running.   Active Domino databases should be backed up using the Domino Agent in a separate job step

patm
Level 2
Hi!

It was definitely working for the last two years until about 3 weeks ago.  I had a similar problem two years ago and still had support for Backup Exec.  They upgraded me to version 10d and also cleared those filter bits using Regedit.  I don't select the files in the same way as I do other files I want to backup...as shown...
imagebrowser image

Note that this is on a remote server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Correct

This should create a separate job step containing only "hot" backups of the Domino databases

the database files will still be skipped the flat-file section of your backup if if \\Lexington\D$ is one of your selections

patm
Level 2
As you can see from the screen capture, the Lexington\D$ is not selected...well, maybe I should ask...what does the $ signify?
Thanks so much!

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi,

You can backup domino database 2 ways which are as follows

1. Using domino agent
2. Using open file backup

As far as your issue i.e. when I try to browse or select de agent from the console, it freezes up and stop responding follow the steps given below.

Solution 1 - Using Domino Agent
  1. Stop remote agent on domino server.
  2. Open remote agent installation directory on domino server
  3. Rename logs folder with logs1 or logs3 (any name)
  4. Stop backup exec services on on backup services
  5. Open backup exec installation directory
  6. Repeat step no. 3
  7. Turn off the "Enalbe Notes Database Filtering" and "Enable Change Journal" Registry Keys. This can be done by setting them to 0. This should be done on both the local and remote machine HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Notes Database Filtering (Default value is 1, set to 0) HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Change Journal (Default value is 1, set to 0)
  8. Start the Backup Exec Services (Both Local and Remote)
  9. Create new backup job and try to brows domino database

Solution 2 - Using Advanced Open File Option
  1. On domino server, install remote agent with AOFO and restart the server
  2. Make sure that you have sufficient free space available on domino server other than database volume (recommended 25 - 30% of database)
  3. From backup server, configure the backup job and in selection list select to domino data folder (whhere the database files resides) and notes configuration file
  4. Configure backup job with AOFO
  5. Submit the backup job but do not run
  6. Stop backup exec services on both servers
  7. On both servers, open registry key HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Offline Backup (Default value is 0, set to 1)
  8. Start backup exec services on both servers and run the backup

Please let me know if you have any doubts

patm
Level 2
I finally checked the remote server to see if the database filtering and change journal registry keys were also cleared to 0.  They were not!!  I set them to 0 and last night's backup ran smooth as silk!  Thanks for all your help.