cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d installing on Sql Server Express 2005, impossible? Looking for confirmation

americantabloid
Level 2
Hi!

We recently needed to uninstall our installation of Backup Exec 10d on an Server 2003 R2. Since the orginal installation of Backup Exec 10d, Sql Server 2005 Express has been installed on the server(for our CMS).

Now when we try to install Backup Exec on another partition on the server(we needed to save disk space on C:) we get an error when trying to install Backup Exec again. It seams to failing when trying to install the database part.

I have been searching the forum and there seams to be an issue with Backup Exec 10d and installing on the Sql Server 2005.

We can't uninstall our Sql Server 2005, what options do we have?

Is the only option to upgrade our Back Exec license to be able to install on Sql Server 2005?

Best regards
at
Sweden
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes, there can be compatibility issues if SQL 2000 is installed after SQL 2005, but I have seen them working together. Backup Exec also has the ability to work on a remote SQL database, so you may look at the option of storing Backup Exec database on a remote SQL server. Also, upgrade to Backup Exec 11d or 12.5 would require all new licenses.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Backup Exec 10d would not support SQL 2005 (any edition) as database repository. Plesae upgrade to Backup Exec 11d, if you would like to use any edition of SQL 2005 as database repository, or use SQL 2000 (any edition) or MSDE.
Please mark it a solution, if this helps.
Thanks

americantabloid
Level 2
Hi and thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify, to install using Sql 2000, we would have to uninstall our Sql 2005 installation (which we can’t do)? They can’t co-exist, once Sql Server 2005is installed before Sql 2000?
Are there any discounted upgrade option for our 10d license or do we need to purchase a hole new license?
Regards
at

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, there can be compatibility issues if SQL 2000 is installed after SQL 2005, but I have seen them working together. Backup Exec also has the ability to work on a remote SQL database, so you may look at the option of storing Backup Exec database on a remote SQL server. Also, upgrade to Backup Exec 11d or 12.5 would require all new licenses.

Thanks

americantabloid
Level 2
Oki thanks for the help!

I will look into the possible solution of storing the Backup Exec Database on another machine, before going the upgrade route.

Regards
at