cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d not completing job

Surespek
Level 3
Hi,

we are currently running backup exec 10d on windows 2003 server. Just last week our backups have started to not complete, i.e. the job runs its backup procedure until it gets to 98 or 99% and then ejects the tape, and then the job cannot be restarted, a new tape is not recognized or the job cannot be canceled or finished. Any help please?

Thanks

Simon
12 REPLIES 12

Surespek
Level 3
Could a staff member please help with our problem. I am a bit disappionted with the support service, this is the only way i can get support for our product, where backup for our business is critical. Im not sure if more info is required:

Windows 2003 SBS
Backup Exec 10d
SDLT320 Tape drive

Backup exec will not longer fully complete a job. E.g. Eject a drive ejects the tape but is still marked as 'Running' and can not be cancelled. This is true for any job that is started, it will fail then cannot be cancelled. The only way to start another job is to reboot the server which is obviously not very good. Please help with our situation ASAP.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like the tape has filled up. 

Is there an active alert to "Insert Overwritable Tape ..."

Allen_K
Level 6

Surespek wrote:
Could a staff member please help with our problem. {snip}
Hi Surespek,

Sorry no one has been able to help you with your technical issue so far. Please note that this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum and not technical support.

Usually customers come to the rescue. Other times, when they are available, a Symantec employee will volunteer his/her time to find and help solve issues just like any other member of the community.

However, in this case, it looks like you might be better off contacting Symantec Support Services for 24/7 access to technical support professionals. You can also try using our Knowledge Base Search.

Hope that helps!

Surespek
Level 3
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am certain that the tape is not full, they are erased before the job is started and when the job fails it has been at approx 110GB of a 140GB tape. I found a couple of registry fixes to do on the knowledge base, ill wait and see if they work.

Regards
Simon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
are those 140/280 tapes or 70/140?

Remember that 2:1 compression  is marketing hype not engineering promise.  I generally figure about 1.2-.13:1, If you are getting 110GB on a 70/140 tape  you are getting about 1.5:1, so that's  not bad at all

Surespek
Level 3
Thanks Ken,

I eventually found the problem - it was a registry entry that was missing. It didnt recognize that the device had finished completing a job.

Regards
Simon

Geoff-G
Not applicable
I am having the same problem.  Is there any chance you could post the actual solution or post the document number if it was a symantec solution you found.  This would save me an enormous amount of time if you could.

Thanks.
Smiley Happy

Surespek
Level 3
Hi Geoff,

This is the solution that fixed my problem. Hope you have some luck too.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277592.htm

Regards

Simon

magic_woody
Level 2
Hi, I am having the same problem (except my tape does not eject) and have tried the above solutions with no avail.  I have also made sure the tape is not set to manually eject and have set following automatic times to manual

Media insert: Automatically clear alert after 1 minute
                   :
media remove: 3 days

magic_woody
Level 2
Hi Group, I got the backup to work once.  Further to the changes I made on my previous post.  I changed the time on the alert for loading media to 1 minute instead of 3 days.  I also stopped backing up one of my drives to see if this was the problem.  The tape took 7.5 hours to run as opposed to the usual 5 which was strange considering It was not backing up less data than ever before. 

last nights backup was saying there was bad media.  When I went to look at it today the message

'Communications are down with the backupExec services.  check to see if the backup services are running'

When the backups failed at 97% - 99% I could not cancel the job ( it would just display 'cancel pending')  The only way around this was to restart the backup services. 

I have rerun the backup today.  it's looking ok so far (usually does until 97%).  However, if anyone could shed some light on this is would be greatly appreciated.     

it12
Not applicable
We are currently running backup exec 10d on windows 2003 server. Our backups have started to not complete, i.e. the job runs its backup procedure until it gets to 99% and then ejects the tape, and then the job cannot be finished and we have to cancel the job. Any help please?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is there an active alert for either "insert overwriteable media" or "remove tape and click OK"?