cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D Exchange 2003 backup issue (Access Denied)

Svenni
Not applicable
Partner
Hello

I currently have an issue with exchange backup at my server.  It stopped working in May (worked fine at some point) but now when i open the job log its flooded with messages "0xe0008488 - Access is denied"

This is an example of it

Access denied to file (user)Top of Information StoreInboxFW: Arrival 23rd of May in Stavanger.
WARNING: (server) Exchange Mailboxes\(user)Top of Information StoreInboxFW: Arrival " is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.

WARNING: "(server) Exchange Mailboxes\24E5456D80697C1061640FC96D82F6E4394402F3DF31F6D0" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

The job logs are about 100mb and are full of these errors on most users. When i go to the restore tab i can only see 4-5 user mailboxes to restore. Ive tried most thing now. Ive upgraded to rev. 7170. Made a new backup exec account and logon account. Delegeted Full Adm control in exchange system manager. Test User Credentials completes successfully within Backup Exec.

Need some new good ideas here to solve this. The job itself backs up 80GB of data so it seems to take backup regardless of the errors

4 REPLIES 4

jats
Level 2
Hi!
I am also having this problem since I upgraded from version 10 to version 11d, rev. 7170. The job log is so big that it is almost impossible to open up at first.
Manual backups of individual mailboxes works fine, all test runs says "successful", but the scheduel job at night gets a full job log with messages "Access is denied".

Anyone who can help?

Luke_Ledbrook
Level 2
Hi there,

I too am having problems authenticating a user to access mailboxes and IS for backups. despite it working for months. I see that the sh1theads at Symantec has decided to off support for 11D onto the forums. I am currently looking into this today and will let you know of anything i find

BRING BACK VERITAS, BRING BACK VERITAS, BRIGN BACK VERITAS

Lenny_Westberry
Level 3
I started having the same issue after the upgrade to 11D. Come to find out, in the job setup, expand your Exchange server, Microsoft Information Store. Simply check the First Storage Group box. You'll notice that you don't have option of individual mailboxes (you do if you choose the MS Mailboxes, but that is where you are getting the error from), this is using the Granular Restore Technology and it backs up Exchange a lot faster than the old days. In the old days, Backup Exec would have to log into a mailbox, back it up, then log out of it. If you have a lot of mailboxes, this could take all night. Our Exchange BU use to take around 10 hours and now only takes about an hour.

Granted it seems to take a little longer to restore an email to someone's mailbox, but that happens rarely and I do enjoy coming to work in the morning and seeing the BU job has completed sucessfully. 776Gb in 11 hours.

jats
Level 2
I tried that last night and the backup went all successfully!
Found a witepaper saying that you can't backup single mailboxes and the information store at the same time, you have to choose either. As you say, it is a much faster way to just back up the information store.
Only thing is that you have to backup to disk first and then to tape if you want to have the possibility to restore single messages fast. If you backup directly to tape you have to restore the full information store to disk first before you can restore single messages. But then again, how often do you have to restore single mails? I have only needed to do it once in eight years!
Thanks for all help!