cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D : Media Overwrite Protection Period

Surender_Sharma
Level 2
Hi,

I am using BackupExec 11D for daily backups and using HP LT02 Ultrium with 200/400 GB Data Cartridges. For some strange reason, when I insert my previously used tapes to take fresh backup, the tapes jumps out of the Ultrium. It says please insert the overwrittable media in the drive. I think, the tapes are overwritten period protected and I have no idea on how to reset the overwrite protection period. I just cannot keep buying the tapes anymore and I must find a solution to reset the overwrite protection period (which I don't know what was) so that I can use the old tapes again and again after 20 days.

Anyone.

thanks

Surender Sharma
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you want to re-use the same tapes every three weeks, then go to the Media Tab, right click the Media Set(s) and select properties.  Set overwrite potection period to 20 days

(Do not use the default Media Set 1,  create your own media set(s) )

Also, from Tools\Options\Media Management make sure that overwrite is set to FULL or PARTIAL

Surender_Sharma
Level 2
Will it work on already written tapes which are old and already have protection period? My tapes jumps out all the time and everytime I need to put a new tape. Though I have reset the media management and reduced the protection period for new tapes but old tapes which are now already protected, I want to reset the protection period on old tapes so that i can reuse them again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you change the properties of the media set, any tapes that are in the media set should have their OPP and APP dates changed to match