cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Catalog Error ODBC Access Error - Catalogs Not Showing Up

ctbrown
Level 3
We upgraded from BE 10 to 11d recently.  Now we are experiencing a problem where BE is not showing all of the catalogs for a particular tape.  Typically only the newest catalog will show up.  If you stop and restart the backup exec services, then go to the restore tabe for the tape in question, all of the catalogs will be present.  In previous versions of BE we did not experience this issue.  This problem seems to be associated with backup sessions that get the following alert:

Category Name: Catalog Error

ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.  Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Open the restore window and look for a box called "Begining Backup Date"  it's in the center toward the top of the screen.  Is that box checked?

ctbrown
Level 3
We have tried with that checked and unchecked, the catalogs still don't show.  Stopping and restarting the BE services on the master server or some times the local server will make the catalogs show up.

Thomas_Berger
Level 3
I do receive the same error, when using the local SQL database. I did run LiveUpdate before the backup - so my software is up-to-date. The problem is that this is bug in the software (numeric value too large for database field):

Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.

Reason: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Numeric value out of range cat_RecordSet::Open()

e:\elba\7170r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(2398)

{CALL UpdateCatMedia( ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) }

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

When writing your message, remember to keep the language clean.

ctbrown
Level 3
Thomas,

Thank you for the reply.  So, this is a bug in the BE software.  Is there no fix for this?

hwendland
Not applicable

hello thomas and ctbrown,

i have the same problem... is this problem by symantec fix ?

greats

henry

hugolg79
Not applicable

Somebody seen this error before?

In BackupExec when execute a tape catalog, the system returned me the following result:

Name Device Name Job Type Job status Percent complete Enlapsed time Bit count Job Rate Error Code
Catalog 00XX XXXX Catalog Successful 100% 0:03:09 0    

The task finished without errors, but the bit account and job rate don´t read nothing in the tape. And after of complete the Catalog, the tape is never listed in the Media List. 
I received this behavior with all catalog tapes, I tested the task with 5 different tapes and I received the same result with all. I´m pretty sure to it´s not a problem with the tapes, is something else.
I really hope to you can help me.