cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Reinstall best practice

dalge
Level 3
We want to uninstall Backup Exec from one of our servers and reinstall it to the same server but on a different drive. It is currently installed on our C drive and our C drive is running out of space. We would like to keep all our jobs, selection lists, etc intact if possible. What is our best stategy?

David
5 REPLIES 5

dalge
Level 3
Also, my company wants to know if we are eligible for a free upgrade to 12. One of our copies of Backup Exec was already installed when I started with the company last May and the other copy was purchased late last year, I believe.

Thanks

David A

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280710.htm  is for v10, but you should be able to adapt it for v11

Be sure to read the "Do Not Use If" near the top

or you could just move the catalog files location  see

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 03-06-2008 10:15 AM

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ken has pointed you in the right direction for the reinstall.
For information on eligibility for upgrade call the customer care department and they will provide you with the necessary information.

Software Version Upgrade FAQs

schmidt_machado
Not applicable

I'd like to re-install Backup Exec 11d to a different drive on my server as well.

The "Do not perform..." condition 8 on the recommended 280710 document seems to prohibit this.

Should I try anyway, or does anyone have further instructions for this case?

Thanks 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

To re-install to a different directory, about all that you can do is

shutdown all backup exec services

copy/save the \catalogs directory and the BEDB.BAK file (in the \WINNT directory)

uninstall

install to the new directory

shut down services

copy the saved catalogs directory the new one

restart services (the catalog build/index may take quite a while to complete)

run BEUTIL and select "Recover Configuration from a file" and point to the saved BEDB.BAK file