cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and Altos Easystore

markcapeters
Level 2
Hi

I'm trying to help an associate out, setting up 2 new PC's. The previous IT company replaced his server with an Altos Easystore and Backup Exec 11d installed on a PC with a dat drive.

I've moved the Dat drive into one of the new PC's, installed Backup Exec but can't seem to be able to create a script to back up data on the Easystore, only his local harddrive.

I suspect it has something to do with Remote agents and I've tried to install this but it still doesn't work. The error msg points me to doc 286949 but the error msg is not the same, the one I'm getting is after giving it a username and passwrod which I'm presuming is the Easystore one.

A search for Easystore on this forum came up blank. Can someone tell me how I can get the s/w to see the Easystore please?

Kind regards

Mark
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since you cannot install the RemoteAgent to the NAS (you can't, right?) all you can do is create a User Defined Share for each share on the NAS, then if you have a RemoteAgent serial installed on the Media Server, connect to the NAS with an account with Admin Rights there in the format  \\NAS_Name\user_name and the appropriate password

markcapeters
Level 2
Hi Ken

By Media Server I presume you are referring to the PC with the DAT drive. I've already mapped drive Z: to the NAS box but Backup Exec doesn't recognise it. Again I presume if I install the RemoteAgent on the PC it shd work, is that right?

Kind regards

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
By Media Server I presume you are referring to the PC with the DAT drive

Correct

I've already mapped drive Z: to the NAS box but Backup Exec doesn't recognise

You cannot backup a mapped drive, you  need to back the share on the remote computer

Again I presume if I install the RemoteAgent on the PC it shd work, is that right?

If you can install the RemoteAgent on the NAS, then yes, this would probably solve your connection problem.  The problem is that most NASes are a cut down OS that won't accept software installs.  If you cannot install the Remote Agnet, then you need to create a UserDefinedShare using either the NAS's name or IP address

markcapeters
Level 2
Hi Ken

Thanks for the help, I'm going to see our associate Thursday evening to install another PC and hopefully sort the backups out.

I'll let you know the outcome

Many thanks

Mark

markcapeters
Level 2
Hi Ken,

I created a UserDefined Selection to the NAS box but when I try to select it I get the following message:
An error was encountered while attmepting to browse the contents of Easystore/public. Access to the device is not authorised with this edition of Backup Exec."

This sounds to me like the version my associate has is not a solution for his set-up, which is Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers.

Regards

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can also get that if you have not installed a Remote Agent serial on the media server.  Does the RemoteAgent serial show as being installed if you check the licenses?