cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d job is running slow on new server

WesternIT
Level 3
Hello - I am in the process of migrating our backup system from a single LTO2 tape drive on a Dell Poweredge 2600 running Windows 2003 to a Dell Poweredge 2950 (64-bit) with a Powervault 124t LTO3 tape library. Backup jobs on the original server usually get around 500-800 MB/min, however, on this new setup we are experiencing a pathetic 2 MB/min. The backup jobs are not running at the same time, however, during the same time window (starting at 9PM). They are both attached to the same gigabit switch and throughput (tested by copying a large file between various servers) seems pretty consistent all the way around.

Thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

BostonIT
Not applicable
Hello,

I am seeing the exact same situation with very similar hardware/OS.  Dell PE 1950, Dell PV124T (LTO-3), Win2k3 x64.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Drivers.

If you are seeing 2mb a minute then I would say that one of the drivers are incorrect.

If you are using Symantec drivers, I would recommend trying the OEM drivers.

Also, Firmware is that up to date?

Patty

jonas
Level 2
Same thing here... 2MB/sec.
I'm running a backup disc-disc so there is not firmware to update either, if you don't mean the NIC-driver.
Performing a copy with Windows Explorer works just fine, nice throughput, but not when I'm running the backups.

WesternIT
Level 3
UPDATE: I updated the driver on the PV-124T and then setup a test job to run over the weekend. Sadly, when I came in this A.M. to check on the progress of the job, it had backed up 4.6 gigs in 33 hours (again, 2MB / min). I canceled the job and started checking settings on the server. I checked the Speed & Duplex settings of the Broadcom NIC on the CMS server and it was set to 100 Mb/Full. I switched it back to Auto and started the same job - In 31 minutes, It's backed up 64 gigs (2030MB /min)! I'm feeling a bit better now...

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
1.) Get latest SCSI controller drivers and firmware for your tape controller
2.) Set your devices up in SCSI controller to proper settings.   If LVD, set it to 40 MHz.  SCSI disconnect = Enabled, wide negoiation
3.) Make sure you tape drive is on a different controller than the hard drives.   Slowest device on the channel sets the speed.   You also want the SCSI controller for hard drives and tape drives on separate channels for best performance.
4.) Use only tapeinst.exe drivers.   Use tapeinst.exe to remove all old drivers.  Reboot.  Use it to reinstall only Veritas drivers. 
5.) Check your termination and cables for damage. 

Jstnhss
Not applicable
Try this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897346

We've got a 124T Autoloader and we are not using an Adaptec card, but that did the trick for us on a new 2003 server.   To give proper credit, I found that posted by someone else in these forums.