cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d x64 and driver support for tape libraries

Chaseabbott
Level 3
Since the install of Backup Exec 11d x64 on Windows 2003 x64 I have had problems.  The software did not recognize my previously recognized Adic Scalar 24 and IBM LTO3 drive until I installed the x64 bit drivers from the device manufacturer.  The BackupExec software said I should use the 11d drivers.

I checked the supported hardware guide for 11d and my device and drive are listed but I haven't had a proper backup since the install/upgrade.  I have everything ranging from SCSI error to "Storage Configuration Error" to Physical Tape error.  The drive today even marked it self as off line even though there was no user intervention to warrant this.  Initializations work, inventories work, there are no SCSI ID issues since the hardware hasn't changed so I am focusing on software/configuraiton.

Is there a special x64 hardware support list I should be looking at or is there a driver that I can use from BE 11d for my Scalar 24?
6 REPLIES 6

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
The hardware compatibility list is for 64 and 32-bit.

What version of 11d do you have? 7170 or 6235?

Chaseabbott
Level 3
Hi Patty;

I am using the 11d Rev 6235.  Live Update doesn't work though so I cannot update (that's a separate thread request).

-Chase

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Chase,
Please download these drivers:

And install them.
That should take care of the issue for you.
If you still have a problem let me know.
Thanks.
Patty

Chaseabbott
Level 3
I am still having issues on this.  Same SCSI errors in event viewer.  What should the driver say when I select the tape device in "Device Manager"?  It started as showing up as an MSFT driver (initial install pre BackupExec).  Then I installed your patch you referred me to.  Then the drive did say Symantec.

I removed and restarted the system and it came up with Dell drivers this time.  But ALSO this is the first time it's shown me my cleaning media in the device.  I will run a backup and let you know the outcome.

I am guessing if this works, it was just the order I did the fixes was incorrect.  C'est la vie.

-Chase

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Chase,

Let me know how the backup runs.

How did it get the Dell drivers?

Patty

Chaseabbott
Level 3
I dont' know how I got the Dell drivers.  There were no drivers on the initial x64bit 2003 install.  I went to ADIC's site (now Quantum) and downloaded theirs.  Then it showed up as Microsoft.  After the install of your fix it did show Symantec as the driver owner but I am wondering if I just didn't uninstall the old ones properly.

Anyway, the backup is working now with my mysterious Dell drivers.  If something happens to cause a similar failure, I will just blow away all traces of drivers for this device and reinstall your patch.

Thank you very much for your help.

-Chase Abbott