cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Exchange 2003 Individual Item Backup issue

Dayyan_James
Level 3

Hi,

I have a very odd issue. We have BE 12.5 with the Exchange Agent installed on our Exchange 2003 server.

We have 4 storage groups on the exchange server, all being backed us with the option to be able to restore individual items.

Recently we discovered that we were unable to expand the first storage group to restore items. All other storage groups can be expanded.

Below is the selection:

However in the restore job you can see that there is nothing visible under SG1, yet SG2 - SG4 are fine

(Image 1: Storage Group 1 - No Selections)

(Image 2: Storage Group 2 - Selections available)

The backup job indicates that there were no issues encountered.

A point to note: we were able to see individual mailboxes, messages etc in the restore jobs for SG1 earlier in the year. Because we weren't alerted to any issues with the backup (becuase there appears to be none) we didn't realise there was a problem until we attemted a restore of a mail item from SG1.

Permission are fine, the settings on SG1, SG2, SG3 and SG4 are all identicle. The only difference being is that the SG1 also houses the Public folder store.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi There,

Are you using AOFO with the job? If so, turn it off as it isn't recommended.

There are a couple of things to try here:

1. Uninstall the Exchange license, restart the services before installing the Exchange license and restarting the services again.

2. Uninstall the RAWS agent from the server before doing a remote push-install from the media server.

3. If you need to restore from the first SG, temporarily stage it to disk manually before doing the restore from disk:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi There,

Are you using AOFO with the job? If so, turn it off as it isn't recommended.

There are a couple of things to try here:

1. Uninstall the Exchange license, restart the services before installing the Exchange license and restarting the services again.

2. Uninstall the RAWS agent from the server before doing a remote push-install from the media server.

3. If you need to restore from the first SG, temporarily stage it to disk manually before doing the restore from disk:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Dayyan_James
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your input. We will give your suggestions a go. I't like to re-itterate that all other storage groups can be expanded, it's only SG1 that can't. Also data is being backed up (37GB) for SG1, so I think the data is there, there is simply no way to restore it.

Cheers

DJ

Dayyan_James
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Following your advise I did the following:

1. Restarted the agent on the Exchange server (This didn't resolve the issue)

2. Re-installed the agent on the Exchange server - BINGO!

I've been monitoring it for a couple of days now, and all seems right.

Thanks so much for your guidance.