cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Question

FluxBlocker
Level 3
We recently implemented a new D2D device with a 1x8 autoloader attached directly to the D2D. The server running BE is using the Microsoft iSCSI connector to attach to the D2D.

The server backs up to the D2D via the network. The D2D emulates a 1x8 autoloader.  The physical tape drive is connected to the autoloader via direct conect (a SCSI cable).

The question is, is it possible to use backup exec to copy the data from the D2D to the tape device?  So far I am only able to copy from the D2D to the tape device using the web interface built in to the D2D.

The autiloader does have a network connection and if all else fails I suppose it would be possible to set up the MS iSCSI connector to attach to the autoloader?

If someone could help me with this I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Hmm - that sounds like a subset of the DeDuplication concept which will be a feature of the next major Backup Exec release and will support some manufacturers' DeDup hardware.

Basically Backup Exec in current versions will see the Autoloader that is the Emulation on the D2D device, but has no way to direct control when the data in the emulated library is written to the real tape device.

There is some hardware like that that automates the copy to real tape with it's own scheduling, but when it comes to a restore the some of the hardware doesn't pull back the data fast enough automatically from tape so Backup Exec times out - which means you sometimes have to manually force the data back from tape to the emulated library before starting the Backup Exec restore job.

As such you might get something to work but it is unlikely Symantec will be able to provide full support for the solution.

I guess your particular D2D hardware is not from one of the major vendors?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Please list the make model of all devices here in your setup.  

The disk and tape models can then be compared to the HCL for compatibility.