cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - SQL Server 2005 Database Backup

MGregM
Level 3

I have come into a new job and they have been having a backup issues for sometime that I am trying to diagnose.

There jobs when trying to backup the databases on the SQL server running MS SQL 2005. The errors are the following for the databases that were selected in the jobs.

Database DATABASENAME was not found or could not be accessed

The item SERVERNAME\DATABASENAME in use - skipped

I have removed and reinstalled the agent on the server hosting SQL 2005 and made sure that the version is the same as that of the Backup Exec server. Also I have created a separate job just to test the issue. I can get the job to pass when running a TEST version but when you run the actual job you get the same error.

I have run DBCC checks on the databases selected and there are no issues, I can also see that the BE job is running the DBCC procedures for the selected databases in the event viewer of the SQL 2005 server and there are no issues being reported.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MGregM
Level 3

RESOLVED.....

Issue was with the instance of SQL 2005 and it's Service Pack level. With assistance from Tech Support, analyzed debug log from Backup Exec Agent on DB server and found issue that required a hotfix to correct.

Applied hotfix to instance and now able to backup the SQL instances on this server.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

How many sql license do you have & is that the only SQL server you want to backup

Also what accout you are using to do backup with

have you added that account in to give sql right like sys admin ,server admin & db creator

What are the events on sql server application tab when backupexec try to do backup

Thank You

MGregM
Level 3

Thanks for the response...I can see the Agent for SQL Server in the licenses in the Backup Exec console.The issues with backup jobs were on both the default and a named instance of SQL server on the same physical server.

Using a admin account as the default System Account

Account is an administrator on the server hosting the SQL but is not defined as a SysAdmin in SQL Server 2005.

On the SQL server, the application tab shows the DBCC processes being completed without errors on the databases selected for backup.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you try then giving those right to administrator as mention by me by going to sql studio management & then going to security & then going to login

& then restart the SQl services once when you do this & see if that help

Also I presume as per your above post there are no error then in application tab & or system tab on event viewer on SQL server

Thank You

MGregM
Level 3

Tried again after restarting SQL services for named instance..No change, still the same issue.

Per BE

Job completed with exceptions 

11 files were skipped.

V-79-10091 

When looking into the job log you find this for everydatabase selected.

Database DATABASENAME was not found or could not be accessed The item SERVERNAME\DATABASENAME in use - skipped

No errors being reported on either System or Application tab on SQL server.

MGregM
Level 3

More information..

Added regular file selections from the SQL server to the test job that I have been using to test. Added just a folder to test the backup process with the server, backup job runs and process folder selection but the SQL selections are still being skipped.

More questions.....Shouldn't there be the MASTER$4IDR<sp> that Backup Exec creates on the SQL Server that it uses for this process? I don't see any of these type databases under any location on the SQL server.

• master$4idr
  • mastlog$4idr
  • model$4idr
  • modellog$4idr

Did Backup Exec stop using these or would there be another reason that these are not in place?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

The file mention by you is created by backup exec only on the server were backupexec database is , so this file it specfically create in case if there are any issue with sql service like if sql service is not starting like that

Thank You

MGregM
Level 3

Further follow up..........

Have added the account to SYSADMIN, SERVERADMIN and DBCREATOR in named instance of SQL and still experiencing the same issues.

When running the real job, it skips all databases selected reporting same errors as previously stated and 0 byte count on the job

Database DATABASENAME was not found or could not be accessed The item SERVERNAME\DATABASENAME in use - skipped

But then I can run a TEST run of the job and it passes, byte count showing almost 190,000,000 so it's reportedly processing the job.

MGregM
Level 3

Per website on recovering from a server failure

Once you have recovered the server, SQL server will not start. This is because it is missing some of the system databases it needs to start. These files are missing because the .mdf and .ldf files are automatically skipped by Backup Exec during a backup (they are locked in use, and you're using the SQL agent anyway). To get around this catch-22 situation, when Backup Exec backs up an SQL database, it creates some copies of the system database files. These copies do not have the .mdf and .ldf extensions, and so will be included in the normal filesystem backup.

On your newly recovered SQL server, locate the folder containing the system databases. With SQL 2005, this is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\. Within this folder you should find the following files:

• master$4idr
  • mastlog$4idr
  • model$4idr
  • modellog$4idr

MGregM
Level 3

If looking at the application tab on the SQL server, you can see the process of DBCC being performed without errors for all databases selected on the instances. These are just informationals under the application tab so it looks like that part works but it just fails to backup the databases.

DBCC CHECKDB (master) executed by domain\username found 0 errors and repaired 0 errors. Elapsed time: 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

MGregM
Level 3

Further investigation of regular job would show the following in the Application tab of the SQL server.

Found that these issues were being caused by former named instances that are no longer being utilized causing this. After removing the unused name instances from the following location the errors are no longer reporting on the SQL server.

NOW if I could only figure out why it still will NOT backup the SQL server instances selected from the actual job. Works on the test runs without errors but when running actual job, still receiving the original exceptions.

An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server: "SERVERNAME".

SQL error number: "0011".

SQL error message: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

".

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

MGregM
Level 3

RESOLVED.....

Issue was with the instance of SQL 2005 and it's Service Pack level. With assistance from Tech Support, analyzed debug log from Backup Exec Agent on DB server and found issue that required a hotfix to correct.

Applied hotfix to instance and now able to backup the SQL instances on this server.

MGregM
Level 3

Hotfix was required for the SQL instances in order to resolve this issue.