cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 (Tape keeps ejecting and becoming "Unrecognized Media"

LordJ
Level 2

I've been having some issues with Backup Exec 12.5. Right now, I downloaded the 60 day trial version to test if Backup Exec will work in our environment.

Server: HP Proliant GL380G6

DEVICE: Tandberg Data LTO-4

I have setup a few scheduled jobs for the night and when I get to work the next morning the tape is ejected. I put the tape back into the drive and do an inventory and I get "unrecongnized media". When I try to catalog the "unrecongnized media", the tape ejects and I get the message stating I need to insert the same media.

I also downloaded the Tandberg diagnostic application and can't see the tape drive. So part of me thinks that the issue is with the tape drive...maybe the bus configuration or driver issue. Have you guys had any issues like this before?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Win2k8 R2 is not supported as a media server for v12.5.    It is supported for RAWS with patches

Win2k8 R2 as a media requires BackupExec v2010

(I'm a little surprised that the install ran!)

LordJ
Level 2

So I have upgraded to Backup Exec 2010 R2 and I'm having hardware issues. Basically after backing up for 20 minutes I get this error:

Storage device "TANDBERG 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Any ideas?

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi

Make sure you have symantec drivers installed on the tape drive & run a quick erase on the tape before the backup job runs.

Please refer to the following article for the same :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48164

If you have HP insight services installed, then follow the below link & disable the services :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61192

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Any update on this issue?