cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 and Exchange 2007

tigermatt
Level 2
I am currently attempting to backup Exchange 2007 using Backup Exec 12.5. The Exchange Server is installed on a new 64-bit Server 2008 machine, while the Backup Exec media server is on a 32-bit Server 2003 box. I have installed the remote agent to the Exchange Server using the RAWSX64 folder within C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents on the Media Server. The agent has installed successfully. From the media server, I am able to see the server (called Server X2) and can see its hard disks and System State etc., but I cannot see the Exchange Information Store listed as an option to back up.

We did have an Exchange 2000 Server which had its store being backed up, so the license and option is confirmed to be installed on the media server. The agent on the Exchange 2000 machine has been uninstalled.

What I have done so far:
  • Added the domain Administrator account (which is used as the logon credentials in Backup Exec) as a local Administrator on the Exchange Server
  • Added the Administrator account as an Exchange 2007 Server Administrator
  • Installed the Exchange Management Tools on the Backup Exec Media Server
  • Downloaded the "MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" from Microsoft and installed on both the Media Server and Exchange Server
  • Created a mailbox for the Administrator account and sent it an email
  • Verified the version of MAPI32.DLL on the Exchange 2007 Server using Dependancy Walker. It is indeed the 64-bit edition.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I need to get a backup of this server running in order to clear some of the transaction logs which are building up very fast.
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302028.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301181.htm <-- this is most likely what you're looking for!

tigermatt
Level 2
Hi CraigV,

Unfortunately I've already seen those articles and have worked through them, but still no success.

Do you have any other ideas? The only thing I can see which may be causing this issue is a missing bedsxchg.dll file. Could that cause this, and, if so, how can I install that file?

Cheers,

Matt

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified

Run a repair of Backup exec on the server where the file is missing. A repair operation is supposed to install the missing dll's

tigermatt
Level 2
Thanks. Should I be running the repair on the media server or the remote agent itself? 

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified
You can try running repair insttallation od backup exec, i would also recommend you to uninstall the microsof t exchange agent license from backup exec and reinstall it

You can uninstall license by  logging into the backup exec GUI Tools>>install options and license keys
>>remove exchange agent licese and complete the wizard and then add the license once again

tigermatt
Level 2
Hi,

A repair install has done nothing. I already removed the license and reinstalled it during my initial troubleshooting.

Where do we go from here?