cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 not cataloging version 10 tapes?

BudMan
Level 3

We recently lost our Backup Exec 10 server and everything on it.  Instead of using version 10 again, we decided to upgrade and install version 12.  Everything is running 5 x 5 with this version 12 except when we want to catalog the older version 10 tapes.  We do have different media sets now and thought that might be the problem so I even duplicated the older media sets.  Needless to say that didn’t work.  I have spend days researching this problem and as of now nothing I have read or tried works.  Has anyone else run into this?  Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Same tape drive?

Do you inventory the tape(s) before cataloging?

Any specific error messages?

BudMan
Level 3
Same everything, and yes we inventoried first.  The error we get is:

The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted.  To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the catalog operation.

I have gone to the knowledge base and read everything, and tried everything they suggest.  From removing the check marks from "use storage media-based catalogs", etc..  I even tried sgmon so I could reproduce the media set that the tapes belong to and moved them there after the inventory.  Nothing seems to work.  I have never had this kind of issuse we BE and I am quit lost as to why it won't play nice.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds liek it may be time for VooDoo tech support

shut down all BackupExec services
rename the \Catalogs Directory
restart Backup Exec
Try Inventory\Catalog again

(remember to change the \Catalogs directory back before the next production run)

CLink
Level 2
This may help...I had a similar issue with tapes from version 8.6 and thought I was going nuts.  It turned out that in version 12 it sets a 1 month "Begining Backup Date" by default.  the tape I was trying to catalog was several years old and I kept getting an error that I needed to re-catalog it.  Well it turns out that all I had to do was uncheck the box that was limiting my restore date range to the previous month and sure enough the error went away.  Hope that helps.

-c

BudMan
Level 3
Clink,

This clue looks promising, but I can't find anything that looks close to "Beginning Backup Date".  I looked under options and everywhere else . . .no luck.  Please advise where you found this.

Thanks . .

CLink
Level 2
BM,

It is actually a checkbox under the restore job properties.  It is located just below "Selection List" and the "Search Catalogs" button.

Hope this helps,

-c

BudMan
Level 3
Clink,

I don't know how you ever figured that one out.  I found it and removed the check mark.  I'll be testing it in the morning.  If that little jewel kept me from cataloging my tapes I will be hunting some programers come tomorrow.  Thanks for the input!

CLink
Level 2
Hope it works out....if that doenst work try going to Tools --> Options --> Catalog and un-checking the "Use Storage media-based catalogs" option. 

Note:  Your catalog operation will take much longer with this un-checked.

It could also be a driver issuse with the legacy tape drive????

Good Luck