cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 16 FP2 / upgrading EMC Isilon v7.2.1.4 -> v8.1.0.2 causes backups to fail

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

I appreciate the advice on this matter. Customer is running Backup Exec 16 FP2 with Dell EMC Isilon ver. 7.2.1.4. They upgraded the Isilon to version 8.1.0.2 but their backup job have failed. The job log constantly mentions "0xe000fe28 - cannot establish network connection to server" but from the BE16 job creation screen, they can see the shared directory "\\Isilon's IP address\ifs\share" and they can access the Isilon from the BE server's "specify filename and Run". So network connectivity doesn't seem to be an issue though the job result mentions this.

Is there any workaround to this? Should they delete the NDMP device and reregister the Isilon with the newer version of firmware running on it? I would think BE handles this automatically so this wouldn't be necessary...They did recreate their jobs again but they still get this network connection error. Would an inventory check or recreating the catalog help?

Any further advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you still telnet from the BE server to the NDMP port on the Isilon?

Also not if using the NDMP Option  - then you shoud not be browsing shares in the backup selections

NOTE: If you were originally backing up over shares (and not using the NDMP option) , then maybe the upgrade has re-enabled NDMP and you may need ot disable it

Thanks for the reply. I have to make some assumptions here. They are using the NDMP option. I'm not sure about the telnet. They sent me this log (attached). I don't know if this gives any hint. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That appears to show that the NDMP Option is being used and MAY show that port 10000 did respond - I am however not 100% sure that a login was successful (based on that log)

Whilst you could try deleting the job and NDMP device out of Backup Exec and re-adding it, I suspect this issue may be more complicated than that and is likely to need a formal support case.

Thanks. I'll try to work this through support.