cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 32Bit and Exchange 2010 64 Bit

arthrax
Level 3
Hello,

I use Backup Exec 2010 on Windows 2003 Server 32Bit and I need to backup Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 (64Bit).
One prerequisite is to install Exchange Management Tool 64Bit (only) on Backup Exec Server for Granular restore.

My question is : if I do not install Exchange Management Tool on the 32 Bit media server, can I anyway make a backup of Exchange 2010 ? I know that I can't have GRT but for a full backup ?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, You will be able to Backup Exehange but you wont be able to enjoy the GRT functionality. Make sure to uncheck the check box "Use Granular Restore Technology" option in the job.

Hope this helps....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, You will be able to Backup Exehange but you wont be able to enjoy the GRT functionality. Make sure to uncheck the check box "Use Granular Restore Technology" option in the job.

Hope this helps....

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Using a 32 bit media server for backing up Exchange 2010 will put you into an unsupported configuration for Backup Exec 2010.  From page 1072 of the Admin Guide (Exchange Agent section) "To protect Exchange 2010, you must install Backup Exec on a Microsoft Windows 2008 SP2 64-bit media server or a Microsoft Windows 2008R264-bit media server."

teiva-boy
Level 6
Plain and simple, you should have a 64bit media server. 

Not only because there are no 32bit tools for Exchange, or that GRT is a killer feature of BackupExec, or that Dedupe requires it...  

But the world is moving to 64bit, embrace it!

arthrax
Level 3
Yes, I know that the futur is on 64 Bit but I have client who do not have finance to buy a new server because we have shared applications on one server . I think that forcing 64 Bit by Exchange 2010 is too fast. They should offer an alternative with 32 Bit version for Management Tool like Exchange 2007...

Anyway thank you for your help.