cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 32bit Exchange 2010

scotthaigh
Level 2
Need to find a way to backup an Exchange 2010 server with 32bit Backup Exec 2010 Media server. I know I cannot use GRT in this configuration and that's it's an unsupported config, but I have no choice. I've seen other postings indicating that I have to uncheck the GRT option in order to take a full Information Store backup, but I've done this in every configuration location I can find in the Backup Exec console and my backup jobs still fail and state that I need a 64 bit media server. Any other tips to get a full IS backup to work?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

And here is a link to the Software Compatibility List:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

Pg. 21 (Database Agents Compatibility --> Microsoft). Exchange 2010 requires a Windows 2008 SP2 or Windows 2008 R2 x64 media server with the Exchange 2010 Management Tools installed on the media server.

You won't get around that 1 unfortunately. Your only option would be to invest in an x64 server, even if it is a cheaper version that meets the hardware requirements of BE 2010.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi Scott,

You need a 64-bit media server in order to back up Exchange 2010.
It is in the SCL. Even if you managed to get it to work, Symantec would never offer support on it.

Thanks!

CraigV
Hi,

And here is a link to the Software Compatibility List:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

Pg. 21 (Database Agents Compatibility --> Microsoft). Exchange 2010 requires a Windows 2008 SP2 or Windows 2008 R2 x64 media server with the Exchange 2010 Management Tools installed on the media server.

You won't get around that 1 unfortunately. Your only option would be to invest in an x64 server, even if it is a cheaper version that meets the hardware requirements of BE 2010.

Laters!