cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Job Rate 1000x slower than Backup Exec 12.5

Rob-Custex
Level 3
This is from when I was using Backup Exec 12.5. Note the last 2 values, 635GB of data backedup at 1.1GB/min.
Daily Backup HP 1 Backup Successful 100% 3/3/2010 01:10:04 3/3/2010 15:19:54 14:09:50 635,552,497,805 1,133.00 MB/min    

This is from 2010 taken a couple days later, the exact same job. The only difference is the application. Note the last 2 values, 8.9GB of data backedup at 6MG/min and it took 6hrs longer.
Daily Backup HP 1 Backup Successful 100% 3/9/2010 01:10:05 3/9/2010 21:56:20 20:46:15 8,949,772,128 6.00 MB/min    

This is unacceptable. Not only am I getting worse performance I'm not getting all my data backed up. This is enough to make me want to revert back to 12.5.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob-Custex
Level 3

My apologies for not coming back to thread sooner. I did contact Symantec support and while the agent was very helpful he was unable to provide a solution. I did try a last ditch effort today before just wiping the server clean and reinstalling everything. I rolled the drivers back and ran a test back up. I got a job rate of 670MB/min for a 500MB test. I'm quite happy with result. Thank you to those that provided possible solutions. I hope that this helps someone else with this issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

teiva-boy
Level 6
Why dont you troubleshoot this?  I see the numbers, but are you attempting to find a root cause?  I find it hard to believe it's just BE2010.

In fact, your data selection is different it would seem too.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From the devices Tab, right click the drive and select properties

What are the settings for block size, buffer size and number of buffers?

Also the settings for both single block options?  These should both be DIS-abled, since the effectively bypass all buffering

Are you using Symantec Drivers? (if so, have you downloaded the newest ones posted just recently?)  Have you tried manufacturer drivers?

MatF
Level 3
My settings are:
block size (64k)
buffer size (64k)
buffer count (10)

Settings for single block mode are disabled.
Latest firmware and drivers (tested with Hp & Symantec)

I´m getting 110MB/min which is very annoying.
With 12.5 and same drive I got up to 3000MB/min.

What´s the deal with APC powerchute network shutdown? I read in a few threads on the net there are possible issues?
APC is not installed on the backup machine but on others.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Local backup, or backup of remote servers? If remote servers, have you pushed your RAWS agent installation to the servers?

MatF
Level 3

Backup of remote servers are very slow. The RAWS agents pushed via BE 2010 server.

It seems there is a problem with Windows Server 2k8 R2.
Windows Server 2003 is working fine and solved my speed problem.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...have you checked with Symantec support to see if there is a resolution to this?

Rob-Custex
Level 3

My apologies for not coming back to thread sooner. I did contact Symantec support and while the agent was very helpful he was unable to provide a solution. I did try a last ditch effort today before just wiping the server clean and reinstalling everything. I rolled the drivers back and ran a test back up. I got a job rate of 670MB/min for a 500MB test. I'm quite happy with result. Thank you to those that provided possible solutions. I hope that this helps someone else with this issue.