cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Media server

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a Backup Exec 2010 R3 server that is currently running in ESXi 4.1 and I would like to setup a media server that has removable USB drives and have Backup Exec backup to those drives. Is this something that would be practical and would it require any additional licenses? Currently they have network attached backup drives that are slow and do not allow for proper vmware snapshot backups because they do not have NTFS permissions. I'm hoping ot resolve these issues with a media server and new USB 3.0 usb drives.I might also load the machine with local storage so I can do disk to disk to disk backups as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, it is possible to have another machine with locally attached drives, however this would involve installing BE on this machine & would require a BE media server license as well...

Typically, with 1 BE media server license, one has the tape drives locally attached to the server & uses local/network B2Ds...anything else, requires appropriate licenses....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Is this something that would be practical and would it require any additional licenseses?

Yes, B2D's on external USB drives should work as long as they are NTFS formatted and No, this would not required additional license.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok thank you, I was concerned that since I'd be installing Backup Exec on a different machine that I would need an additioanl license.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If you're setting up a new media server = new licenses required.

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It's not possible to just have another machine designated as a storage pool or backup location?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, it is possible to have another machine with locally attached drives, however this would involve installing BE on this machine & would require a BE media server license as well...

Typically, with 1 BE media server license, one has the tape drives locally attached to the server & uses local/network B2Ds...anything else, requires appropriate licenses....

Baron164
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok thank you