cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Job Stalling, But No Errors

Orangoutang
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with a new installation of Backup Exec 2010 R2 that I'm hoping someone will be able to help with. Basically, during any backup job (backing up to tape or disk, it doesn't matter), the job will randomly freeze and it will stop backing up. From the console it appears as if the job is still running, but the job rate slowly gets lower and lower. It's like it's getting stuck on a file, and then can't carry on with the rest of the job so just sits there waiting for something? There are no Alerts in the Backup Exec console, and nothing of any relavence in Event Viewer. It happens randomly when backing up from any of our 7 windows based servers, and the file it gets stuck on is different from night to night. The backup server is Windows 2008 R2, running on an IBM x3650, with latest version of Backup Exec 2010 R2. All of our agents have also been updated to the new versions. The server itself isn't running anything out of the ordinary - just the customised IBM drivers which have never caused a problem in the past. I also tried disabling the Advanced Open File Option from the job, disabled the firewall and antivirus (McAfee 8.7i), but it still does the same thing. It might be worth me mentioning that when this happens, I can't even cancel the job - I have to restart the services to get the job to register as failed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

Turtle5277
Level 2

I was able to resolve my problems by going to each of my 3 clients, uninstalling the agent, manually cleaning the registry, manually deleting disk folders, and then pushing the latest patched agent again from the server.  My biggest hurdle was figuring out that the client with the problem was not the one the backup job appeared to be hanging on, but the next client in the backup job.

PaulF
Level 3

This problem happens if your clients cannot resolve the media server via it's NetBIOS name.

Either use WINS and make sure it's name is registered, or use a static hosts file on your clients with the NetBIOS name of the server and it's IP address.  (NOTE: NetBIOS name (i.e. 'server1') NOT the fully qualified name (server1.my.org.com).

The Backup Exec client allows you to insert the FQDN name of the server, however if you reload the client you will notice it changes back to the NetBIOS name no matter what you do.  If your clients cannot ping the server by NetBIOS name, backups will have this problem.