cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 and Exchange 2010 SP1 issue

mathieu_alain
Level 3

Hi everyone,

My customer is having issue with Exchange 2010 backup.

The configuration is as follow :

Backup exec 2010 R2 run on a physical server with Windows 2008 R2

Exchange 2010 SP1 is a Virtual machine running Windows 2008 R2

So basically the backup will start but after a while the Remote agent "lost connection" on the backup exec server and I get several error like this one on the Exchange server at the same time

Error ID 403 SOURCE Storage Group Connector

Instance 1: The physical consistency check successfully validated 31722 out of 57600 pages of database '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy6\Exchange\Mailbox\Database Archives\Database Archives.edb'. Because some database pages were either not validated or failed validation, the consistency check has been considered unsuccessful.

ERROR ID 401 Source Storage Group Consistency

Instance 1: The physical consistency check has completed, but one or more errors were detected. The consistency check has terminated with error code of -106 (0xffffff96).

Then I get the error 9782 ( its a french OS so Ill post it anyway but I dont blame anybody to not understand,

L’enregistreur VSS de Microsoft Exchange (instance d607baa8-c2fe-4930-bd86-2a92ea785c2e:5) a terminé la sauvegarde de la base de données « Database Archives » avec des erreurs. La sauvegarde n’a pas été correctement exécutée et aucun fichier journal n’a été tronqué pour cette base de données.

It basically says the VSS finished the job with errors.

So I'm not sure what to do.

Some post say to move the mailbox to a new database... some say to run eseutil.

Anybody got this issue solved ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

11 REPLIES 11

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you trying to run a grt backup of that exchange vm machine if so them make sure raws is installed on the virtual machine. Make sure you have the aofo disabled for this backup. Also to isolat the issue you  can try doing a raws backup directly the vm as a physcial machine to isolate the issue.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Since the Exchange server is running virtual, you probably will have to remove the VSS Vmware provider. Just run the setup of the Vmware Agent, and remove the Vmware VSS Provider, reboot and test again.

mathieu_alain
Level 3

I don't think there is a hyper-v vss provider... I wish it would be VMWARE to be honest :)

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Your topic start did not mention it is a Hyper-V server, I assumed it was a vmware host.

Johan_Karlgren
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi I do not recognize your probelem but I had problems with Exchange 2010, try to dismount the store and mount it again, in some situations, you can´t dismount the store and you get an error thats the Exchange database is already in backup mode. Then this happens reboot the server.

I should also try to disable GRT function, Symantec has problem with GRT to Deduplication store.

Also try to backup exchange directly to the server via agent ( not trough Hyper-V )

mathieu_alain
Level 3

Yeah my bad bout not specifying the virtualisation platform.

Thanks for your replies, Ill test it out tomorrow and I'll let you know !

vtek63
Level 3

I am having the same issues. I am also running BackupExec 2010 R2 trying to backup Exchange 2010 SP1. My exchange is a vm on vmware. Backups were fine until after Exchange 2010 SP1.

mathieu_alain
Level 3

Ok so far, disabling the GRT seem to help.

I also had to run eseutil /mh and then /d on one specific database  and now my Exchange can be backuped.

Now of course my System states crash for no reason but at least Exchange worked :)

mathieu_alain
Level 3

So it worked for one day.

Guess I'll need my customer to renew his support first and then call Symantec.

mathieu_alain
Level 3

So I opened a ticket with Symantec, hopefully they'll find the problem.

mathieu_alain
Level 3

The tape backup was faulty apparently so that was the problem.

Thanks ya'll!