cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 with VMWare ESXi 4.1

Nitro187
Level 3

I'm having serious problems trying to backup using Backup Exec 2010 R2 and my VMWare server.  I'm able to backup just fine, when I'm selecting individual files, but when I try to backup the VMware vCenter and ESX Server selectio, under "selections" it looks like it works for a few seconds (not minutes), but when it gets to the stage "snapshot processing", I get the following error:

"The job failed with the following error:  Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine.  The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot."

Which is interesting... because this happens whether the VM is running, or is turned off.  Does that make any sense?  I've tried using both the BE VSS, AND the built in VMWare tools VSS provider... neither work. (not at the same time of course)   I have NO idea how this is supposed to run, as I havent' seen a working run yet.  Just before the job fails, I get a "recent task" in my vSphere Client, saying "Find entity by inventory path" status Completed.... but nothing else.

Again, this happens on >any< VM on my host... not just one... and it doesn't care if it's running or not.  I am able to create a snapshot (quiesce as well) when I try manually... but BE is unable to do this.

Can anyone provide me with some help please?

Thanks!!

15 REPLIES 15

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129724

Nitro187
Level 3

Yes, and I just re-read it again, and no luck.  It's almost as if Backup Exec isn't communicating properly with the vSphere... again, it has nothing to do with the VSS installation on the VM's, as it gives me the exact same error when the VM is turned off, as when it's turned on.

Any other ideas?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is your media server updated with all the latest patches...?

Nitro187
Level 3

Yes sir... updated via live update with SP1, and the following hot fixes:

150096 & 144101

Nothing else comes down the pipe line.

CraigV

...any existing snapshots of your VMs in ESXi? If so, are you able to delete them?

Nitro187
Level 3

I never played around with snapshots before this error occured, so no.  I started making some thinking it would fix the problem... it didn't.  I then tried deleting them all... still nothing.

Any other ideas?

Nitro187
Level 3

Anything guys?  I'm really stuck here... maybe someone can do a remote control session with me if they want to see for themselves?  It really doesn't take long for the error to show up.

Thx.

CraigV

...escalated to support for you!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Try this technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128039

Also, the previous technote mentioned has been updated to include a bit more information if you want to check that one out again.

Thundercleese
Level 5

@Nitro187

Have you found a solution yet?

geoakaki
Level 2

I Have same problem :(

Have sameone found a solution yet?

Dataway
Level 4

remove the policy and selection list template and recreate and then retry!

geoakaki
Level 2

ESXi need vStorage API available and licensed from Vmware to have BackupExec take a snapshot of the VMDK's. :)

varunmaharaj
Level 2

That is correct, i had issues with Backup Exec with ESXi 4.1 and backup. This was because i was using a free license that did not give me the feature of the vstorage API. Seeing that the essentials license would suffice, i bought this and it worked as this included the vstorage api feature.

You can use the Eval mode to as this enabled all the features for 60 days for testing.