cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need a license???

Twazok
Level 2
I am hoping that someone can answer what i think is a very simple question however Symantec Customer Care either bounce me around of cut me off.

My question:

I am runing BE 11d.  I wish to backup a shared folder on a windows xp client - do i need an agent license or similar to carry this out being that i am not installing the agent.  I have read and reread the license agreement and nowhere does it seem to cover this scenario.  and it seems like such an obvious one that would need covering.

Can anyone help or provide me a definitive answer to this??

Many thanks
Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes, but DLO is a totally different console, and a different software. You are seeing and backing up the share from Backup Exec console. Please note that DLO and Backup Exec are different softwares. So, you have installed DLO, but if backing up the shares is all you need, do not use DLO for that. You dont need DLO, basically. So, no license required, go ahead backup shares and there should be no problem. It is just that if you have remote agent software installed on the target box, it makes your backup performance better. So, even for share backup, i would recommend installing a remote agent software to the Windows XP box, but no license required.

Regarding the DLO question, yes you are licensed for 5 users, but DLO configuration is done through a separate console and is a totally different type of solution, used for backup of desktops and laptops and really nothing to do with backup of shares.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
You do not need a license to backup WIndows XP client. All you need is to install a remote agent there, and select the data from the media server. Use following document, if you want to backup a user defined share:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253618

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Twazok
Level 2
Can i confirm that i "do not need a license" to backup the shared folder on the xp client? not even a DLO agent license or similar no?

I do not need to install an agent as i do not need access to the admin shares or system state on this machine.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, you do need a DLO agent license, but not a remote agent licesen. You do need to install an agent there to be able to access it from Backup Exec selection list. So, just the remote agent software must be installed on the XP machine. No license needed on the media server, if you want to use Backup Exec. If you plan to use DLO, you will need a license to be added for DLO on the media server.

Thanks

Twazok
Level 2
I think this is where i am getting confused.  I am able to select the share on this machine already from the media server.  No agent is installed on the XP client, and i dont need access to anything else on this client other than this share.  Now the way i read the license agreement is that Yes i would need a license for any installed client (DLO or otherwise) but because i dont need one to backup what i want is one still required.  it seems very vague.

On a side note i notice my server lists as installed:
"DLO (Support for 5 users included with Backup Exec)"  Licensed NO installed YES.

does this mean i am licensed for 5 copies of DLO or not being that it lists it as licensed NO??

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, but DLO is a totally different console, and a different software. You are seeing and backing up the share from Backup Exec console. Please note that DLO and Backup Exec are different softwares. So, you have installed DLO, but if backing up the shares is all you need, do not use DLO for that. You dont need DLO, basically. So, no license required, go ahead backup shares and there should be no problem. It is just that if you have remote agent software installed on the target box, it makes your backup performance better. So, even for share backup, i would recommend installing a remote agent software to the Windows XP box, but no license required.

Regarding the DLO question, yes you are licensed for 5 users, but DLO configuration is done through a separate console and is a totally different type of solution, used for backup of desktops and laptops and really nothing to do with backup of shares.

Thanks