cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Error: VSS Snapshot warning file is not present

rminc
Level 3

Last month we upgraded to Endpoint Protection 12.1 and using Backup Exec 2010 R3.  Last 2 days receiving error:

Backup- System?State

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\program files (x86) \common files\symantec shared\eengine\eectr164.sys is not present on the snapshot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

As a workround create a text file with the name as  eectr164.sys at the below location

c:\program files (x86) \common files\symantec shared\eengine 

OR

Repair install the application to which the above file belongs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB

As a workround create a text file with the name as  eectr164.sys at the below location

c:\program files (x86) \common files\symantec shared\eengine 

OR

Repair install the application to which the above file belongs.

Sush---
Level 6

Here is the technote with similar issue addressed,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126412 : Backups complete with the exception: "VSS snapshot warning. File [PATH] [FILENAME] is not present on the snapshot."

Thanks,

-Sush...

rminc
Level 3

I did read the technote listed above, but it does not include my file eectr164.  We have not uninstalled any programs recently so not sure what happened to this file.  I did try the workaround by saving file eectr164.sys as text on c: but I don't have permission.  Need to figure out how to get permission to save the file on c: and will try your suggestion.

Sush---
Level 6

I did try the workaround by saving file eectr164.sys as text on c: but I don't have permission

Not sure if you mean that you tried to save the txt file on the root of C: drive. Try to save that file at the location shown in the error. The location is "c:\program files (x86) \common files\symantec shared\eengine"

Thanks,

-Sush...

VJware
Level 6

Check this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78569

If the above mentioned KB doesn't help, then try the following -

Locate the file C:\Program Files (x86)\common files\symantec shared\eengine\eectrl64.sys and delete it. Reboot the server. Run the job.

Cameron_Lawton
Level 2

I have the same problem. I think in my case that these are registry entries leftover from Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0. It occurs under the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet but there are no services for it and running TASKLIST /SVC shows no processes for this running. I do not see any erros in the System Event log for it. I have two Windows 2008 servers that this issue occurs on. I will back up the registry entries and delete them on one of these servers. I will let you in a week or so if I see any errors related to this change.

Cameron