cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3: How to configure robotics control when using multiple NAS

equark2355
Level 3

Hello,

Backup Exec 2010 R3: How and where to configure robotics control when using multiple NAS servers?

Need to deploy Netapp and isilon NDMP hosts with shared tape library in SAN.

Backup is being used for Windows backup. Now we need to add a Netpapp and an Isilon NDMP NAS servers.

Where do we configure robotic control and whihc host should control.

Any guidance appreciated,

Thanks,

equark2355

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Every device that requests a tape movement MUST be zoned to the robotic arm.

However whilst we have tested sharing a library between 2 NDMP devices from the same vendor (i.e. NetApp for instance) I am not sure if any specific testing has been done with mixed vendor sharing.

Although we have done testing with the library attached to a Windows server and an NMDP NAS device to allow both Windows based and NDMP based backups to use the same library.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You need to get a NDMP agent license .

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you'd most likely need SAN SSO as well if you have multiple backup servers. NDMP license won't help with sharing the robotics and drive between multiple servers.

Check the Best Practices document below for further reading, and you can also get hold of the BE 2010 R3 Admin Guide...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21786

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4045

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Every device that requests a tape movement MUST be zoned to the robotic arm.

However whilst we have tested sharing a library between 2 NDMP devices from the same vendor (i.e. NetApp for instance) I am not sure if any specific testing has been done with mixed vendor sharing.

Although we have done testing with the library attached to a Windows server and an NMDP NAS device to allow both Windows based and NDMP based backups to use the same library.