cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Restore Error

heinemasterklm
Level 3

Hello all,

I am a symantec backup exec newbie, please accept my apologizes if I have posted wrong messages and discussions by mistake.

I have a very simple running network.

DC - Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 as a domain Controller

EX - Windows Server 200 R2 Service Pack 1 as an Exchange Server 2010

I have installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 onto the DC and created 2 jobs to backup DC and EX separately which were successful, onto a external USB device (F:), so simply my 2 backup-to-disk folders are located at F:\Backup Exec\AD and F:\Backup Exec\EX

Right now I am trying to restore the DC machine onto a similar (hardware component) machine, so my steps to perform the process will be...

1) A brand new installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 onto the new machine

2) Install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 (I am using a NOT-FOR-SALE) version, and finished Live Updates

3) Install the following agents (which ones are really necessary)

- Exchange Agent

- Active Directory Reocover Option

- VMWare Virtual Infrastructure Agent

4) Copy C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs from the running DC server to the new machine (to make sure the new installation sees the backup media)

5) Re-mount backup-to-disk folders to the same name (is it necessary?)

6) Re-start

7) Run a restore job to restore all the components that I have backed up, (C: (500GB HD), E: (1TB HD), system state, MS SQL and shadow copy components)

In the setup, I have also checked the following options

- Under general settings

--- (Checked) Restore all information for files and directories

--- (Checked) Reserve tree

--- (Checked) Restore over existing files

- Under Advanced Settings

--- (Checked) Mark the server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service

--- (Checked) Overwrite the existing hardware configuration and registry services data to be restored

- Under MS SQL

--- (Checked) Overwrite the existing database

--- (Checked) Continue restoring if an error occurs during the restore

Then the restore runs about 30 mins and shows the following error, please advice, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you trying to restore the backup exec Sql database as well in the backup Job. refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74724

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Yes, But when You install the backup exec , You need to install it to a different Folder than the original folder it was present before.

Please follw the below procedure from the article to run the restore of the local machine.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO11945

heinemasterklm
Level 3

Hello RahulG,

Yes, I am trying to restore everything at once in the backup job, so I should always have a MS SQL redirection when I am doing a SQL restore?

In the document it says "1. One cannot directly restore active BEDB database as it is in use.", is "active BEDB" referring to the new machine's Backup Exec installation? or the BEDB from the backup job?

heinemasterklm
Level 3

Hello ArulPrasathR,

Yes, I read a document saying the installation should be installed in a different folder than the original folder, but does "new installation" at different folder be removed automatically when the restore process is completed?

I will follow the procedure given and  re-post the result, thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To manually DR a media server you have to install Backup Exec to custom folder paths you don't state if you did that or left BE on the same paths?

heinemasterklm
Level 3

Hello Colin,

I tried both (same path or customized folder) and they all return the same error, please advice, thanks.