Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Transfer Rate very slow after changing to LTO4 drive

quexar1968
Level 2

Hello,

we are using the following System:

Windows Server 2008 r2 64bit, Tandberg LTO4 SCSI drive (driver Version 1.0.7.0),  SCSI Adapter LSI Ultra320 2000 series

Backup Exec 2010 Version 13.0 Rev. 2896

After changing our old drive (Tandberg LTO2 SCSI drive) to the LTO4 drive our Transfer Rate of the Backup drops from 1250 MB/s to 150 MB/s.

The Transfer Rate of the LTO4 Drive should be aroung 5000 MB/s.

We reinstall the Tape Driver in Backup Exec, we tried a Backup without compression, but still the Transfer rate is very slow.

Because we can't create a full Backup, I reinstall the old drive and everything is working fine again.

Please give us some hints.

Kind Regards

Frank

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware version on both the adapter and the new drive.

You can also revert to the manufacturer's drivers and see if you get any sort of speed increase.

Thanks!

quexar1968
Level 2

Hi ,

thank you for your answer.

the firmware of the drive is the latest, i will check the firmware of the adapter.

I've installed the driver with tapeinst. In the infomation box you can't see the driver from Symantec (see the attachment). Backup Exec uses the driver td_ltohh.sys. Is this the correct driver from Symantec? If yes, how can I use the Tandberg driver?

Kind regards

Frank

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you can repeatedly and consistently switch tape drives, with the performance always being bad with the same LTO4 drive and good withe the LTO2 drive, I would focus on issues with that LTO4 tape drive.

Have you tried using any Tandberg diagnostic software on the LTO4 drive?

Your LTO4 drive may not run significantly faster than your LTO2 drive, as it all depends upon where your perfromance bottlenecks are.  But the LTO4 shold be able to run at the same speed as your LTO2, at a minimum.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that you are using Symantec drivers for your tape drive.