cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 does not use Scratch Media, Jobs are in queued state

dave_F1
Level 3

Hi,

on some of our Backup Exec Servers (newest Patch level) i have the issue that imported tapes (which were erased by another BE Installation before) won't be used by BE2010.

I moved the tapes to Scratch, but BE still wont use them to overwrite. The Media Protection Policy is set to partial. I already tried all the options but nothing helps.

As far as i know BE always has to overwrite Scratch Media? Or am i wrong with that?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the backup job set to ? Overwrite or append ?

Secondly, under Tools - options - media management, is BE configured to overwrite scratch media first or set to overwrite recyclable media first ?

Lastly, does running a "quick erase" on one of the tapes allow the tape to be used for an overwrite operation ?

dave_F1
Level 3

it is set to

• append, overwrite if no appendable media..
  • overwrite scratch first

Yes, quick erase is my solution for now, but i don't think thats how it's supposed to be.

thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Under the Overwrite Protection Level, is the option to Printout before overwriting checked? If so, then you should reply to the alert or the job cannot continue. If you don't want to reply to the alert, then uncheck the Prompt option

dave_F1
Level 3

tried both options already. BE doesn't ask even when the box is checked.

VJware
Level 6

What is the global protection level set to ? Full or partial or none ?

Is the option to automatically display new alerts enabled under Tools - Options - Preferences ?

If yes, have you set any auto-response options to the media alerts ?

dave_F1
Level 3

the global protection level is set to partial.

The automatically display new alerts option is disabled. the alert i get (alerts tab) is "instert overwritable media.."

VJware
Level 6

There are multiple methods to overwrite imported media - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22314

If the moving to "scratch media" doesnt help, do the other methods do ?