cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 for SBS - no Active Directory Recovery Agent?

OwenW
Level 2

Hello,

Just installed Backup Exec 2010 Small Business Server Suite onto SBS 2008 Standard. Backups run fine, however when backing up Exchange the following message is shown -

------------------

Backup Recommendations

The following backup sets contain Microsoft Exchange data. Symantec recommends that you install and use the Active Directory Recovery Agent to better manage your Microsoft Exchange data:

\\SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    \\SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
------------------

Does the SBS suite version of 2010 not come with the Active Directory Recovery Agent? I have checked under the list of installed agents and sure enough it says that it is not installed but can be installed as part of the trial. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

I have not installed the Backup Exec System Recovery that comes as part of the suite, just the Backup Exec application itself.

The license was purchased as an upgrade to a previous version, however this was installed fresh. Does this make a difference and if so how can I add in the AD agent? I still have access to the old server if required.

Thanks for your help!

Owen.
12 REPLIES 12

nhej-
Level 5
Employee

Its better if you call Technical Department at 1-800-634-7474 option 1 so they can further assist you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you installed the licence key into BE?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi there

The Active Directory Recovery Agent is not part of the SBS Edition - the reason for this is that without it you can still backup and restore your Active Directory (as part of the System State) so for DR purposes the SBS server can be protected with what is in the SBS Edition.

What the ADRA license gives you is the ability to restore individual objects into Active Directory - in other words it adds functionality to BE against restoration options for Active Directory.

Note: The recommendation option that is now provided in the job logs is a new thing in Backup Exec 2010 R2.

mramsey1
Level 2

1-800-634-7474 is Notre Dame Alumni Association I just found out.

RyanW
Level 4

If you want granular recovery you need to buy the ADRA license, if you don't mind restoring AD in full the SBS license WILL grab full system state on backup.

It's interesting though, I cannot say I have ever received that message about recommending ADRA with my BE 2010 or BE 2010 R2 installations for SBS.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

And your are resonding to a 6 week old thread because?

RyanW
Level 4

Does it matter?  I found this thread relevant to my own trials and tribulations with the SBS Licensing of BE.

Tonicart
Level 2

FYI I found this thread helpful and RyanW's comments insightful.

So what you're saying is that I won't get Exchange granular recovery if I don't buy the Active Directory Recovery agent? Why would they leave something like that out of the SBS package? I had this capability with my old version 10d...

I got the same "advice" in my first backup log.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So what you're saying is that I won't get Exchange granular recovery if I don't buy the Active Directory Recovery agent?

No, you lose the ablility to restore AD granularly (is that even a word?)

The Exchange Agent (since v11) had permitted Granular Restore of Exchange data

teiva-boy
Level 6

Keep in mind that the message about getting the ADRA is a helpful reminder for you, but also to sell more licenses of BackupExec.  The moment BackupExec R2 sees you backing up a particular dataset that there is an agent for, it'll make note of it as a recommendation in your job logs.  

This was a product feature put into R2.  Right now it I believe it only applies to Microsoft Applications.

BlueEchoes
Level 4

but also to sell more licenses of BackupExec.

So, at the bottom of every job log, I am going to get this special type of advertising from Symantec? I am sure there is no way to turn it off either, right? What next, we start getting pop up advertisements to try other Symantec products when we do a restore?

:)

pbjsit
Not applicable

I have been using Symantec Backup on my SBS server for years and I upgraded to get the latest "benefits", but this is just extorsion. Sure, it backs up, but it leaves a RED line in the job log and says the backup FAILED.  All because I didn't buy the AD add on.  Okay, so I don't get "granular" restore, but why do I have to see FAILED all over my job log????  Oh yeah, so that I get so tired of seeing it I will give you more money to make it go away.