cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 new installation - Backup Exec Job Engine crashes between volumes, mailstores

Patrick_Andry
Level 2
I have an issue with a brand new installation of Backup Exec.  It seems that when the job switches between volumes, the backup exec job engine fails.  When I try to restart the job, the job picks up at the last successful one.

So far I've had it crash when finishing the backup of a mailstore, and after finishing a large volume backup.
During the backup, no issues are reported at all.

The mailstore job was only a mailstore, no OS data.    Fileserver backup died between storage groups

Here's the error log.

Faulting application name: bengine.exe, version: 13.0.2848.0, time stamp: 0x4acc2e7c
Faulting module name: THEFH_LibCatalog.dll, version: 13.0.2848.0, time stamp: 0x4acc2ed3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002e156
Faulting process id: 0xccc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca7744aa68cbae
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\THEFH_LibCatalog.dll
Report Id: a5e7d648-e363-11de-82b0-02215ede56df

Any ideas?  I've run LiveUpdate, but there are no new updates for the beta.  Has anyone run into this so far?

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick_Andry
Level 2
As an update, I've managed to get the backup running properly if I create the job manually, instead of by policy.  Fileservers are all working now.  The only issue that is outstanding is exchange backup. 

I can only assume that there are different options that can be set by policy that are invoking the THEFH_LibCatalog.dll in a manner that is crashing.  I noticed that there is no direct-copy-to-tape option in manually created jobs, but that option is available by policy.

I am going to attempt to back up without using the GRT option, and back up the mailstores one at a time to see if I can get the backups to work properly, but I am really looking for a long term solution.

Zdanovych
Level 2
I have the same error - at the random time bengine.exe service stop with the same error in event viewer.
I'm using 2008 R2 with Dell PowerVault 132T (double drive) library. It's strange, but there were no errors while I testing BE2010 with Dell TL2000 library at the same server with the same jobs.

If you please, can you explain what did you mean with "create the job manually, instead of by policy"? I have a "Full backup" and "Diff backup" jobs created with schedule, both of them crashes a trandom time after start.

sjbradbury
Level 3
I've just run into this same error backing up an exchange 2010 server.  Backup exec is running on a 2008 R2 machine and this job runs to a powervault LTO 2 drive.  I had this running fine on a different 2008 R2 server, but after installing on this new server I cannot get an exchange backup to complete.

Zdanovych
Level 2

Seems this problem gone with 2010 release :)