cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Backup Exec 2012 - Incremental offsite drive rotation

egon
Not applicable

Hi,

I am currently running Symantec Backup Exec 2012, which is backing up virtual servers in a VmWare environment.

Up until now, the backups have been run like this:

• Every night a full backup of each server is run and saved on Synology RAID 10 NAS, the full backups are kept on this NAS for 14 days
  • After the full backup is run, a duplication stage runs and saves the backup to a storage pool (of which I rotate 3 1 bay NAS drives), so each day the 1 bay NAS is rotated.  The duplication stage only keeps one days full backup, so basically there is always 1 full backup offsite.

This solution was fine, however now as the data is growing the full backups are taking longer and are not finishing by the next day.

So my question is, how can I configure either incremental or differential backups so that a full backup is run either once a week or once a month, and I am able to rotate the 3 NAS drives and always have at least 1 days full backup on which ever NAS is taken offsite.

It is my understanding that if I did an incremental set up, on the first night the Full backup would run to the RAID 10 NAS and duplicate to NAS1.  Then on the second day, I would come in swap NAS1 with NAS2, the incremental would run that night and only duplicate the incremental to NAS2.  Therefore, if the building was to burn down and the RAID10 NAS lost, if NAS2 is offsite I would only then have an incremental backup which would be useless.

If I have misunderstood how the duplication stage works, please do let me know.  Either way, I need a solution whereby whatever 1 bay NAS is offsite, they always have 1 full backup set.

Thanks in advance!

0 REPLIES 0