cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Tape Restore Media ID Mismatch

ben_icu
Level 3

Hi All,

I am trying to restore data that is on 2 Tapes which were written to by using a Dell Powervault 124T.  We currently use Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition.

The Tapes have no barcode however the AutoLoader does have a barcode reader.

When we Inventory and Catalogue the tapes they are being given a Media ID however when we come to then restore the data we get an error saying that the Restore failed due to Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.  Above the error it notes a Media GUID which doesnt match the Media ID the Tape has been given.  See Images below.

picture1.png

picture2.png

How do we get them to match or are we inventorying or cataloging the tapes incorectly?  We have stopped the services and renamed the catalogs folder numerous times and this doesnt seem to fix the issue.  We can see the Backup Set on the tapes and browse the folder structure however we always get the above failure error.

Any assistance would be extremely helpful as we have been trying to restore this data for 1 week and time is now of the escense?

Thanks

Ben

18 REPLIES 18

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the below article...

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH222971.html

ben_icu
Level 3

We have tried multiple inventories and catalogues unfortunately.  The issue seems to be the GUID mismatch?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Right-click on the tape and associate it with the Retired Media set.

2) Right-click on the tape and select Retire.  This will remove it entirely from BE.

3) Inventory and then catalog the tape again.  You would need to search for it under All Media and associate it with an appropriate media set so that it is protected.

4) Try again.

Does this problem occur if you try to restore from some other tapes?

VJware
Level 6

Was the original backup written to the same storage device or was it replaced ?

Is the option to use storage-based catalogs checked or unchecked ?

ben_icu
Level 3

PKH

I have followed your suggestions however on point 2 I had to choose delete not retire. 

I have then inventoried the three tapes. 

Associated them with the "Keep Data Infinitely" media set.

Then had to run an import and inventory again.  I could then catalogue the tapes.

Once the catalogs completed successfully I ran the restore which failed with the same error.

I have tried going back 3 days worth of tapes and the same error occurs for each day but with different GUID/Media ID numbers.  FYI - All backups had been 100% successfull.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Ben

ben_icu
Level 3

VJware

The original backup was written to the same storage device.  The option to use storage-based catalogs is checked.  The reason for this is when it is unchecked and we run a restore we dont see all the data and get red X's over a large number of folders.

Thanks

Ben

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sounds to me that you may have a hardware error. Check that the tape library and tape drive are functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The tape library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver. Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library and tape drive. Select the write test and stop all the BE services beforehand

ben_icu
Level 3

The tape library and drive seem to be working fine to be honest.

The tape library is however showing as the following?

picture3.png

VJware
Level 6

What type of backup are you restoring ?

Is it regular flat files or DB data such as Exchange ?

Are you able to successfully run a duplicate from the tape to disk ?

VJware
Level 6

The changer should show as Unknown Medium Changer. Install the MS driver.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH124860.html

ben_icu
Level 3

We are just restoring flat files.  No databases.

We havent tried a duplicate from the tape to disk.

Which option should I try first?  Duplicate or driver fix?

VJware
Level 6

Try the driver one first.

ben_icu
Level 3

I have enabled the unknown media change driver.  Should I retire media, reinventory and re-catalog again?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, you can. But for this time only, uncheck the option to use storage based media catalogs. Once the cataloging is complete, you can check the option.

ben_icu
Level 3

As there is around 2 Tb of data I assume this will take far longer?  We are currently waiting to be able to restart the server which will be done at 10am GMT.

VJware
Level 6

Yes, this cataloging process will take longer than usual.

ben_icu
Level 3

I now just get a failure when it catalogs immediately.  See below.

picture1.PNG

VJware
Level 6

There was an issue in BE 2012 where running the catalog first time returns this error, but second run should run fine. Try recataloging again.

Also, try a duplicate. Does it error out as well ? If it does, pls log a formal support case for an engineer to have a look @ your setup. Thanks.