cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 fails to Backup VM with GRT Enabled

Rgrabow
Level 2

Greetings-

I am testing out BE2014 and trying to backup a VM that is in a different domain than the BE2014 server using GRT for Active Directory.  It seems no matter what I do I cannot get the job to run unless the logon account is an administrator of the domain that the BE2014 Server is in.  The problem here is that obviously I get a warning that GRT restores are not possible when I backup this way as this logon account has no rights in the domain of the server (VM) that I am backing up.

The minute I change the Logon account for the VM to an admin account to the domain that the VM is a part of, the backup job fails with an error saying that the logon account does not have sufficient privilages.

Has anyone gotten this scenario to work?  I used to be able to do it in BE2012 and it was pretty straightforward.  Which account\admin needs to be specified as the logon account when you are making VM selections under the VMware host?

Thanks

Rich

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you accidentally changing the vcenter/esx host logon account instead of that for the VM?

Rgrabow
Level 2

Nope.  I make sure that "ROOT" is select at the host level and the datacenter level.  I only update the "logon" account for the specific VM I am backing up.

richreitenauer
Level 3

I am getting the same thing as well.  

Rgrabow
Level 2

Well at least it is comforting to know that its not just me.

richreitenauer
Level 3

I think I might know what my problem is at least.  I am trying to backup 2012 R2 AD virtual machines, however the media server is running on 2008 R2.  I might need to reinstall windows 2012 r2 and restore the database/catalog files. 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hiya richreitenauer,

Yep, you figured it out right. If you are backing up Windows 2012 R2 VMs with Application GRT, then the media server (and the Hyper-V host) must be also running Windows 2012 R2.

Rgrabow
Level 2

That might explain why it fails on 2012R2, but I get the same issues backing up a VM that is running 2008R2 on ESXi 5.5

pwv
Level 3

I'm having the same issue.  I'm working with Backup Exec support, but so far they haven't been able to figure out the issue.  Anyone have any luck fixing this problem yet?

Thanks.

V/