cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 Ejecting Tapes before backup complete

Anne_Schaum
Level 2
About every 2 days, I come into the office to find that my backup has gotten about 23G backed up, but that the tape has ejected and the Job Monitor reads Load Media. Even if I try inserting a new tape, it just ejects again. The only way to resolve the situation is to stop all Backup Exec services and restart them. The job then completes the next day. Note 1 - I do run my cleaning tape several times a week, but I do see a Critical Alert each time that the drive needs to be cleaned. Is there something more substantial I should be doing to clean the drive?
Note 2 - I did install SP2 a few weeks ago, though I can't recall if I did that because I was having problems or if the problems began after I downloaded the update.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sure sounds like you have filled the tape.

What kind of drive do you have?
What kind of media are you using?

When you get the insert media prompt and insert a new tape, are you sure that the tape is not overwrite protected?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To further add to Mr Ken Putnam's reply, regarding the critical alerts, I would like to know since when you are getting it ?

Have you installed latest Veritas drivers ?
Also, verify if the firmware of the drive is updated.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anne_Schaum
Level 2
All of the tapes are 20GB/40GB 4mm tapes. I would agree that it sounds that the tape is full if it weren't happening at such odd intervals, and inserting another tape has no impact. We have a stock of 11 tapes that we rotate, and it is not obviously certain tapes that are posing the problem.

We I have downloaded and installed every update that was listed on Veritas' site, but I don't know that I have every driver update. I have all Windows updates installed. I will check Dell's site to see if I have hardware driver updates available - but could that be a problem sometimes and not others? For instance, the backup was completed 100% last night (with 23G backed up).

Our backup runs each week night (so 5 tapes/week). The first problem was 4/13, then 4/22, 4/27, 5/2, 5/9, 5/11, 5/16, 5/19, 5/24.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following HCL and verify if the drives are compatible. If the drive is compatible and the tapes work with the drives, then they are compatible.

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

If it is, here is the link for the latest update on BE 9.1 drivers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

2. Please check if there are event id's 7,9,11,15 in the system event log.

3. As stated by Ken please check if the tape is overwrite or append protected.
This could be happening once in a while since your media rotation and overwrite protection period cycle is set that way.

4. As for the cleaning schedule, the device manufacturer will be better able to tell you. Also the device user manual might contain that information.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.