cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.2 backup sets problem

geraldine_donoh
Level 3
HI,

We are currently running Backup Exec 9.2 for Netware . We are having a few issues which I was hoping to get some help on.

1.       I recently went to perform a restore on a full back of our students data which I backed up on 9th of September. When I went through the restore process the tape did not show up in the backup set . I then ran a Catalog but the tape still did not  show up
2.       When doing the restore I noticed that there is not a backup set for each backup? We run Inc backups 6 nights a full backup 1 night. For some reason it is not keeping a record of the catalogs

Can you provide me with some help on this please

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

coolsuny
Level 3

Hi Geraldine,

Let Me give a Try,

have you specified a Media set for the Backup job and assigned with write Protection Period. when you have inserted the tape did it go to that specified media pool.? Have you tried browsing the data to restore from View by Resourse tab, r u able to see the backup date 09th Sep FULL?

geraldine_donoh
Level 3
Thanks for the reply, No I didn't specify a media set for the backup. I just noticed that the media set is by default called default. When i check Media View and Default I can see the tape in the list - well it is the correct date anyhow. Can I do anything with it from there.

How do I view by resource. I dont see that tab anywhere

thanks

coolsuny
Level 3

Please go through the "Restoring Data" section in the adminstrator's guide link is provided below.. this will help you a lot.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_Netware/278928.pdf

Also please check the document belowe which provides you info abt Media Management.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275640.htm

geraldine_donoh
Level 3
I didn't really get any info on the problem in the docs. My basic issue is that there are no backup sets when i go to do a restore or there may be 2 or 3 sets for the months but no real apttern to them. The backups are completeing with no errors so I dont think that is the problem

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never used BENW.  But that being said, if the media use philosophy uis similar -

What is the OPP for the default media set?  
Are you sure that the tapes are not being overwritten  every night?

geraldine_donoh
Level 3
I've just realised that every backup I do just overwrites the previous one but I cannot figure out where to change this. Whrer do I look for th OPP for the media set

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In BEWS, from the Media Tab, right click the media set \Properties

You can also create different media sets with different retentions.  So for example, you can reuse a daily tape every week (daily media set OPP= 6 days) , reuse weekly backups every month (OPP = 27 days) and keep Monthlies for 2 years

geraldine_donoh
Level 3
I am using backup exec on netware 6.5. I cannot see anywhere where i can make changes to iverwriting the tape each time. all options seem to be set to append the media