cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Agent install error 1603

jhowel
Level 2

Ok, I have an Exchange 2010 server that was running low on disk space as the logs weren't commiting due to backup failures because the backup exec 2010 agent wasn't working.

I took the opportunity to remove the BE agent using Programs and Features, rebooted the server etc and tried to re-push the agent getting the vague error 1603.

It looks like 1603 is a generic error for 'something went wrong in the install process and I'm rolling back'.

Before I really delved into the log files I followed the following article to remove the BE Agent manually:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130940

Nothing,still 1603.

I also removed SEP and deleted everything related to Symantec (with a snapshot and reg backup), still nothing.

I looked at the log and noticed:

12-20-2014,13:27:48 : Application: {2E214FDB-1B99-4BF3-BEE4-43B82EB1D6AE}, Command line: UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE={856D9205-4AA3-48FB-ADD2-CE6EFF23ED9E} CLIENTUILEVEL=3 REMOVE=ALL

12-20-2014,13:28:13 : No valid sequence could be found for the set of updates. C:\Windows\Installer\610eb.msi

12-20-2014,13:28:13 : CustomAction returned actual error code 1648 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

+ 12-20-2014,13:28:13 : FATAL ERROR: Error 1714.The older version of Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. 

12-20-2014,13:28:13 : Action ended 13:28:13: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.

The agent installer thinks there is an existing version of the BE agent installed but it cant remove it so it's bailing out.

OK, more poking about online revealed this article:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-install-remote-agent-please-help

Windows installer may be preventing the new agent from going in.

Obviously MS has removed the Windows installer cleanup utility from support so I downloaded the x86 (its a 64 bit server) version from Majorgeeks (I don't like downloading vendor software from non-vendors but as needs must).

The msicuu2.exe installed fine and I ran it from the installed location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Installer Clean Up\msicc.exe.

I found the BE agent reference at the end of the list and I removed it. After a minute the entry was gone.

I then re-ran the BE agent push and it went through with no issues!

This was driving me mad and it's now working!

Now there appear to be dozens of issues relating to 1603 and actually I have another on  a SQl server that appears to be related to the agent's failure to install MS Visual C++ installers but that's another story!

5 REPLIES 5

jhowel
Level 2

Ok, a couple more things, as above the media server stated that the subsequent push was successful but the test backup failed with a"cannot connect to the remote agent".

I rebooted the server.

Tried again and it failed again.

Re-rean the push and it didn't see that there was an agent alledgedly on the server :o

Some services existed on the server but the age net one was missing.

I manually removed the agent from Programs and features and rebooted.

Re-pushed the agent and this time it repoted that the agent was installed and for the first toime it stated that the remoe server required a reboot.

Rebooted the server.

Ran the backup again and all is working well.

Looks like the initial install didn't work properly but it prermitted a clean removal.

Sadly these issues have been around for ages and Symantec could do a much better job of handling these issues in software without having to spend weeks ploughing through online forums for a product that I've already spent a tonne of cash on. 10 years down the road (yes was using Veritas Backup Exec), the product is still riddled with correctable problems.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Uninstall the agent and install it locally directly in the client server. Copy source from the be server on \programfiles\symantec\\be\agents\ select x86 or x64 copy locally and install

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello JHowel,

It seems that the previous installation on that server is corrupted which is not allowing the new installation to be successful.

If you can see the older version on Backup Exec Remote Agent in the Control Panel >> Programs and features then try to uninstall that then reboot and then install the newer version.

If the unintall process fails then you can run Fixit utility from Microsoft to remove corrupted installations and then install the newer version after reboot.

Let me know if this post helps.

Regards,

-Sush...

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Can you confirm what version of Backup Exec you are currently running and the version of the old agent being updated?

If you are using Backup Exec 2014 and attempting to upgrade the remote agent, try copying the following steps:

1. From the Backup Exec  server locate the folder called “Agents” from the install directory
  2. Copy the RAWS64 (or RAWS32) folder AND the VCRedist folder to the C:\ drive on the remote server
  3. On the remote server from the RAWS folder you copied over locate Brower.exe and right click on it
  4. Click on "Run As Administrator"

You can also find the steps for a local installation in the following documentation: www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179142

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

The following documentation may also help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216835