cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Checksum/Differences encountered

cotterj
Level 3

I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while and i'm at a loss...  I'm getting some error on backups:

1. 0xe000fe34 - A checksum of the data has failed.  - Most common.

2. Differences encountered in file data.

I'm not getting these errors on all backups.  I have cleaned the tape drive, used different tapes, reloaded the backup server OS, updated backup exec to the latest version... but still run into this error.  I thought it was related to the backup drive itself, but that wouldn't make sense in I have at least 1 other policy job that runs just fine.  I get this error on exchange policy backups and local data backups.  I see it on data that backups up locally on the backup server as well as data that is backed up via the remote agent.  It's not always the same files either. 

Please help...

14 REPLIES 14

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which tape device you are using?

If it is a USB tape device, may be an issue with firmware as mentioned in: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61089

Regards.....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi cotter,

Get hold of your drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility, stop BE's services and run the diagnostics against the drive. This will rule out any hardware issues.

Furthermore, you can open up Devices within BE itself, click on the drive and look for any Hard Write Errors...if there are, it indicates a good possibility you have an issue with the hardware itself. I think you've pretty much ruled out every other possibility.

Thanks

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

See if any of the conditions exist as per the below article:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83058

If Not It would be a problem with the data Being backed up.

Check for event ID on the exchange and local server for any specfic Volume or file system errors.

cotterj
Level 3

Thanks for all your feedback.  I am really hoping it's not the drive.  I currently have a Quantum Superloader outfitted for LTO4.  The internal drive is an HP.  I attempted using quantums drive diagnostic software but didn't have much luck getting it to work.  Anyone have experience with it?  It's call xtalk-6.4.1.5.exe.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have to use HP LTT tools to test HP device.

Regards...

cotterj
Level 3

Thanks a lot.  I ran a few of the tests and they all came back as successful/passed.  What am I missing here?  It does say the drive is experiencing polling at 1.0 / sec.  Is that something to b e concerned with?  What does "great margin" mean?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which OS your backup server have?

If windows server 2003, RSM must be stopped and disabled.

Regards....

cotterj
Level 3

My server was 2003 and I was having these same issues.  Then I upgraded to 2008 and I continue to have this problems....  What service is RSM?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Removable Storage Manager Service.

Windows server 2008 doesn't have this. Prior versions have this for managing removable storage media and automated removable media devices.

Contact the OEM tech support and provide them LTT test result and they will help you in finding out the issue.

Regards.... 

CraigV

Hi,

You might want to check out the HP issue below...obviously ignore the RSM advice as it's not supported on Win2K8:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using BE 2010 R3? If not, I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com. After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP1 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

cotterj
Level 3

Thanks all for the help.  I have tried all suggestions with still no fix.  I'm in the process of installing R3.  Is anyone else using a Quantum Superloader 3 by chance?  Does the physical SCSI ID selector need to  be different than the setting within the web manager of the library?  Any other ideas as to why I'm having the problem?

CraigV

Hi,

I don't have experience with Quantun, but make sure that the SCSI IDs on the library don't clash with the ID on the card for instance.

You can also check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH14891

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the Windows Device Manager and check that the Quantum library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it is using a Quantum driver, change it.

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...